Megliola: Celtics doing a Howard Dean

By By Lenny Megliola
Saturday, February 14, 2004
The Celtics are off for four days. Any way we can make it longer?

They left us with something to remember them by, a thoroughly disgusting, no-show, why do we even care about these guys (I know, you don't) 107-87 loss to the Bulls.

What an abominable team the Celtics have become. They're harder to watch than Howard Dean. Whatever Danny Ainge's plan is, it must begin with suffering. Fine, we know he's trying. Rick Pitino tried too. Pitino's runaway metabolism when it came to deals blew up in his face and made him quit. Ainge's tenure is just starting. But where is it going?

Ainge wanted change. He's made changes. The owners give him their blessing. This season is looking more and more like a wash. Maybe Ainge isn't worried, maybe he believes in his plan, but he can't expect the shrinking population of Celtics' fans to stay tuned. Maybe Ainge forgets that it was just three years that the fans endured a sixth straight non-playoff season.

This team is clueless, confused, artless. It's easier watching heart surgery. Paul Pierce's body language seems to be saying he can't wait for the season to end. He lost his good buddy and protector Antoine Walker. He lost Eric Williams, who set Pierce free from being The Leader. He lost Jim O'Brien, a coach who at least had a clue.

Pierce has even lost his shooting touch. He's had too many nights struggling to crack 40 percent from the floor. His 1-for-6 showing against Chicago Thursday was sickening. He should have tried one of those over-the-head shots from halfcourt like he did during a break in the action in Cleveland Monday. (I'm kidding. That was dumb. Innocent, but dumb.).

Ainge says he's looking to make another deal before the Feb. 19 trading deadline. Don't count on it. He said he was keen on making Shareef Abdur-Rahim the newest Celtic. Instead the Hawks shipped him to Portland this week. How hard did you really try on that one, Danny?

Nothing's gone right for Ainge since he got here. Even his hiring, during the playoffs remember, seemed strange. Walker was steamed. He wasn't the only player. Ainge's first order of business was to trade Walker. It was a bold move, but for the most part fans gave Ainge some space on that one. 'Toine always did split the electoral vote. The trade with Cleveland hasn't helped either team much. The Cavaliers are still a borderline playoff team. So are the Celtics. Except the Cavs don't have to worry about Ricky Davis anymore.

It could turn out that the Celtics won't have to worry about Vin Baker anymore. That would be a blessing and a savings. I wrote in this space a couple of weeks ago that I didn't think Baker would play another game in the NBA, never mind with just the Celtics. It's a sad tale. Basketball-wise it's over. The restoration of Baker the Citizen is more important. You wish him the best, but he is an alcoholic of some privilege, having this wonderful talent that made him millions. That doesn't make him immune from the horrors of the bottle, but there are carpenters and store clerks with drinking problems, two kids, a worried, working wife and this month's rent overdo. I worry about them more.

Vin Baker in the short term was a mistake. Danny Ainge in the long-term may not be. But it sure is hard right now figuring out where his vision will take this team. Does he really have a plan, or is he going to keep making trades until something sticks?

It's a very dangerous game Danny's playing.

The cover of the Celtics' media guide was supposed to have Ainge, O'Brien, Walker and Pierce on the cover. A quick retouch took Walker out of the picture before the season's opener but not out of the guide itself (he's on pages 54-57). Now O'Brien's gone too. Never mind the SI cover jinx. Who's next, Pierce?

A very long shot for next year's cover is John Carroll, who took over this mess after O'Brien bolted. The Celtics would have to make the playoffs and win a round for Carroll to return as head coach. And even that might not be enough, knowing the trigger-happy Ainge. None of this is Carroll's fault. He's walking the plank for the sins of others. Sympathy cards to the coach can be sent to 151 Merrimac St., Boston MA 02114.

( (Lenny Megliola is a Daily News sports columnist.) )