Good Stuff By Vecsey

Nothing on the Celtics though, but other trade rumours are churning,
and the Knicks seem to want Baker...

Peter Vecsey
NY Post

February 15, 2004 -- LOS ANGELES - With Thursday's trading deadline looming, the Knicks and Hawks are creeping closer toward a deal involving Nazr Mohammed and Michael Doleac, confirm sources on both sides of the negotiation. A third team is in the midst of being recruited to complete a transaction that promises to escalate into something considerably more significant.
The Nuggets and Raptors appeared to be with the program last week, but that's no longer the case. Denver VP Kiki Vandeweghe wants Kurt Thomas vs. Doleac or Othella Harrington, plus a couple of second-round draft picks for Rodney White. Meanwhile, Toronto VP Glen Grunwald was ordered by superiors not to acquire any players under contract past this season; so much for getting Harrington, who makes $3.1 million for '04-'05, or Christian Laettner from Washington for Michael Curry, Michael Bradley and Mo Peterson.
Should Isiah Thomas be unable to manipulate the appropriate strings by Feb. 19 there's a remote possibility recovering alcoholic Vin Baker will be given yet another unearned opportunity to exploit the system. Don't ask me why! For the past five or six years Baker has done nothing but rob employers, teammates and fans of beaucoup bucks, desperately needed support and a worthy effort while making pathetic pledges of redemption.
Enough is enough! I say, relapse on your dime and time for a change! I say, install "Bake" as the designated driver for Diana Ross! God, forbid, Billy Hunter should fight for something noble for once in his life as executive director of the Players' Association!
*
Why are people giving Mark Cuban such a hard time regarding his opinion to stop pro players from wearing themselves out, and possibly hurting themselves, in the Olympic? The guy's just being patriotic, that's all. If Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojakovic, etc, are outlawed by team owners from representing their countries, Cuban figures the U.S. might have a chance to finish better than sixth.
"Thanks for again telling me what I'm doing and what I'm saying," cracked Cuban, who maintains the Mavs won't make a trade before the deadline. He then walked away with Nuggets exec Kiki Vandeweghe presumably to discuss what it would take to get Rodney White.

Contrary to Cuban's claims, sources say Antoine Walker is readily available. "He shoots every time he touches it," groans the Mavs owner to confidants. "I wouldn't mind so much if he only shot it every other time."
You mean to tell me, of all the responsible and respected active and deactivated players TNT could have zeroed in on during its All-Star coverage the nitwit network choose to feature J.R. (Just Released) Rider's cell phone-inflicted tribulations?
Inconceivable! What, like his sob story (and hundreds comparable) couldn't wait to be told during some mundane halftime in mid-March?
Why would TNT taint its godly goods to stoop to play Q&A against the curb? Because the jammed-up former NBA dunk champ is finally legible at 33? Because it's his turn to seek forgiveness, understanding and an average NBA paycheck? Because Jayson Williams already had been interviewed by Barbara Walters? Or because this weekend is the perfect time to showcase players who can light it up?
Clearly, Charles Barkley is now fully in charge.
And you wondered why David Stern consented to putting the All-Star Game on cable.
Sixers, sources say, are seriously thinking about dealing Aaron McKie to Chicago for Jerome Williams, as well as Eric Snow to Orlando for Gordon Giricek and Juwan Howard who would be rerouted elsewhere (Minnesota, perhaps) for a point guard.
Now that "Rashweed" Wallace is in Atlanta, I have a question for the commissioner: Does his next spew or temper tantrum qualify for a fine if there are no witnesses?