Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Players association; "sort of?" signed the agreement.-Glob

Globe:
>>As Hunter sees it, the Celtics' attempt to terminate Baker's contract is an
act of "subterfuge" and "a ploy." He added that the union has "totally been
against this thing from the get-go."
>>"We view this as nothing more than a ploy by the Celtics to circumvent
their obligation under the guaranteed provisions of the collective bargaining
agreement and the uniform player contract," said Hunter. "We're going to go all
out on this one. We can't tolerate somebody trying to, in this instance, erode
something that we've put in place.
>>"We're not going to let this be some new precedent, a way for teams to try
to get out of their responsibilities under the guaranteed contract provisions
of the collective bargaining agreement . . . I was never OK with any of the
agreements. The agreements were not negotiated by us."
>>According to Hunter, the union forced the Celtics and Baker's
representatives to renegotiate their initial agreement regarding Baker's alcohol after-care
program, which was drawn up after the power forward was suspended last
February. The Celtics and Baker's representatives worked throughout the summer to
restructure the agreement, arriving at the three-strike formula. But Hunter
claimed he still had serious reservations about the second agreement, though he
acknowledged it was much better than the first.
>>"When we got wind of the first agreement, we felt it was a clear violation
and would have given the team unfettered discretion, for the most part, to
terminate Vin at the nod of a head," said Hunter. "When we got wind of that, we
put them on notice and said under no circumstance is this going to happen, and
if you don't do something to amend the agreement, then I'm going to take you
to federal court.
>>"At that moment, the [Celtics], in conjunction with the people who were
representing Vin, then sat down and came up with a new agreement. The second
agreement was one that was negotiated between Vin's agents and the Celtics. In
that instance, we said, `We understand that Vin may need some form of treatment
to help him. But we're not going to let you [the Celtics] be in a position
where you can arbitrarily terminate this guy.' And I basically agreed, at that
moment, to sort of go along with what it was they said they wanted to do.
>>"But as far as I was concerned, I knew there was no way Vin was going to
make it. I knew that he was going to be found in violation of the agreement."<<<<

Dr. Baccus, we don't yet know the details of Baker's "non-compliance,"
but, unless there is a quick buyout/settlement, we  surely will be
serenaded with all of the gory details.  There have been reports that
these details are so embarrassing to the player and his family, that
they will not allow the process to go forward and will accept a quick
buyout. Let's hope so.
 For Hunter to announce publicly that he "knew" Baker was going to fail
the conditions of his program that he (Hunter) "sort of" went along
with, leaves me gasping. How many of you would sign an agreement,
knowing that you were not going to honor it?
 This whole situation reeks. All one has to do is look at the numbers
and study some film. When Baker was sober, he could play, when he was
not, he was a liability, that could not be trusted on the floor.
Perhaps the Players Association wants to keep some sort of fund
available to support these types of situations, but I can't believe
they expect the team to keep paying him.
 Can anyone; the Players Association included, expect a team to  pay 13
million dollars a year to a player, who renders himself incapable of
returning his end of the bargain? There are obligations, on the player
also, when he signs a contract, to apply himself, in earnest, to help
that team, to the best of his ability.
 Yes, alcohol addiction is a sickness, but it is self inflicted and
thereby, the inflictor must be able to be held accountable, for the
good of the game, as well as himself.
 Yes; "bring it on," Mr. Hunter, but understand that Vin Baker not only
suffers from acute alcoholism, but has been linked  to bouts of deep
depression. If Baker can't take this process you've initiated and harms
himself, who will you blame then? The team  who put him in an addiction
and psychological care program, or yourself, who are trying to tell the
player that the program and the Doctor's advice don't matter; it's just
about the money and your prestige.