Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] "Vin talks to Baccus every day..."-Herald

At 07:41 AM 2/13/2004, JB wrote:
> Quotes are from the below Marc murphy column in today's Herald:
<snip>
        Um, Mr. Goodwin, not seeming to be rude, but aren't you contradicting
yourself?
        I understand it's your job to represent Vin Baker and present him as
the victim here, but how can you have it both ways?

You missed another sort of manipulative hypocracy wherre he's trying to do that...

>      Goodwin accused the Celtics of looking to get out from under the
> $36 million deal.
>
>      ``The urgency of (last night) has been put in you-all's head,''
> Goodwin said of the media. ``(The Celtics) should be concerned about
> getting Vin back to play, instead of getting out of his contract.

The urgency of last night was put in us-all's heads strictly by you and others in the Baker camp, since you're the ones who initiated all the recent discussion of it. Likely to try to put public pressure on the Cs and also to make sure other teams are aware of it to see if you could troll up any feelers of interest with all your talk of what might happen and how ready to play Vin is despite it.

Don't get me wrong, undoubtedly the Cs would love to get out from under his contract and Goodwin's job is to try to stop them from doing that (interesting though that earlier in the article it said he was hired specifically for this fight, which could be seen as an admission that Vin knew he wasn't going to be able to save his contract and career by abiding with the terms of the agreement) . But I actually think they've been pretty fair to him in all this, including not making the first couple of strikes public when they happened, giving him some breathing space to get his act together despite the slips.

Kim