Re: We're left with blind faith. Egg's right.

Hell yeah, Paul.  This is exactly what I'm talking
about.  People on this list want to make it an
either/or argument.  Those who question what Danny has
done are immediately put into the
keep-Obie-and-win-ugly-but-never-win-championships
class, while those showing continued support are put
into the
blue-eyed-tomorrow-will-be-better-we-weren't-going-to-win-a-championship-anyway-so-let's-suck-this-year-because-we'll-be-so-much-better-next-year
class.  It's not that simple (not that my hyphenated
monstrosity makes that clear).  And, yes, Egg was
right (this means you should post more frequently
Egg).

However, I'm not as down on are supposed talent
upgrades as you and Egg are.  Mihm I like for obvious
reasons.  As Stacey King said last night, he's an
athletic big man.  However, he doesn't seem to make
many shots that aren't of the
I-just-dunked-in-your-face variety; that is, his
spot-up and back-to-the-basket game is very weak right
now, which is odd because I thought every white stiff
was supposed to be able to hit a 15-footer (all these
damned hyphenated words are a pain in my ass, btw).
Ricky, I like, and I'll always like, no matter how
"individual" his game seems in the midst of a team
game.  He needs to be motivated (note to Carrol:
motivate Ricky by starting him and basically telling
him that he better start becoming the Antoine to
Paul's Paul or this season is dead) and whoever said
it was right...Ricky quit playing defense the day
O'Brien left.  And that's why it was such a shame to
see him leave.  At least we showed heart on one half
of the court when he was here (I hated O'Brien's
inability to coach offense as much as anyone, but
still it would have been a very good thing if he'd of
stayed at least till the end of the year).  As much as
I hated the Antoine trade, Jiri has been good, though
he's not a point guard as I had suggested earlier in
the year.  As Tam is want to repeat, when was the last
time he made a great pass?  He'll make the right pass,
but the great pass isn't happening.  And when he's at
the point, he's very tentative.  And sometimes his
shot is WAY OFF in an Antoine Walker sort of way.  I'm
hoping it's an injury issue, as his thumb still seems
to be still bothering him.  We'll know next year,
assuming he comes back fully healthy, what kind of
player he'll be (I'm cautiously optimistic).  Finally,
I think the jury is out on Raef at this point.  As my
brother said to me last night as we were getting
killed by the Bulls, Raef is good by being steady.  He
won't pull a Walter, in other words.  He's smart in
that he takes care of the ball and knows where
everyone should be (and thus the coach will always be
comfortable with him on the court).  He also blocks
shots, rebounds decently and runs the floor.  These
are all good things.  However, he lacks drive.  He'll
never get in a guy's face.  He's not ever going to be
a team leader.  He doesn't really strike fear in
opposing players.  He'll never command a double team.
He'll disappear for long stretches.  Basically, he's a
piece of siding; necessary, but only noticeable by his
absence, not his presence.  Was he worth Antoine? (oh
yeah, I'm not going to have that discussion).

In the end, Paul you're right; it is a matter of blind
faith.  But, seriously, that's what it will always be
with sports.  Sometimes, you get lucky and follow a
team that is managed brilliantly.  With us, we don't
know yet where Danny will end up taking us.  For me,
alot depends on what happens during this off-season.
Will he hire a good coach?  Make smart draft picks (we
need Okefar Danny...take everything and try to get
Okefar)?  Sign free agents wisely?  In a lot of ways,
this off-season is like the draft of 2001, in that it
could create success that would last for 10 years.
But will it?  Who knows...but I say we hold off
crucifying Danny until he fucks up the upcoming
offseason; after that, the gloves come off.

Ryan