Re: Great job, Danny!

"You've gone mad, Shawn Niles"

Maybe I have. You aren't the first one to say that to me. ;-)

"First, if Ainge ever counted on a recovery alcoholic, he isn't as smart as he presents himself to be"

Agreed. And as I think about it more now, Ainge probably didn't expect much from Vin either. A mistake on my part to say that earlier.

"Further, Ainge traded for Raef explicitly knowing of his injury and fully expecting him to undergo season-ending surgery at some time during the season."

I disagree here. They knew there was some type of injury but I don't think they thought he'd need surgery. However, I'm sure they did consider the possiblity, and did the deal anyways. Since this was a developmental year anyways and they knew they wouldn't be competing for the title, it wouldn't matter much if Raef was playing or not. It is more important to get him healthy for next year, which is what Ainge focused on.

"The thing is, Danny's traded certainty for uncertainty"

The certainty was that if Antoine was here, he would have been a major disruption.

"so while you can point to some future point as the bones of your contention, we just have to look to the past as the proof of ours; in other words, whatever future success that occurs"

I point to the future and the past as mine. The future because of draft picks, trade exemptions, mid-level players, cap space; and the past because Antoine has ridded the team of Antoine, has traded injury prone guys for talented guys, and has made deals that give him an incredible amount of flexibility to do any type of move in the future. No more 'Antoine-like' contracts where you have to pray that someone will take him off your hands. Danny is in the drivers seat and now HE can dictate the type of trade instead of the other team dictating it.

"The playoffs are always better than non-playoffs"

Disagree. If you go all out to make the playoffs, and playoffs come at the expense of your young guys getting no experience in a developmental year, then I don't think the playoffs are better. You think making the playoffs (while Hunter, Perkins, and Banks sit) only to be promptly dismissed in the first round in better than not making the playoffs but having Hunter, Banks, and Perkins log major minutes and get major experience so that they can contribute to next years team? I don't. Because next years team will likely be built to make a big playoff run. Not a title team, but maybe conference finals. And you'd be better off then if the three young guys had a boatload of experience instead of none. Just so that you could say you made it to the first round. YIPPEEEE!!!

"Yeah, we'll be better in the future, but who gives a F%$* today when we just got abused by the Bulls?"

Short-sighted people see a single loss now and proclaim doom and say the team has no direction. Far-sighted people see it as a uncomfortable and painful but necessary step towards becoming a legitimate team. Not one that sneaks into the playoffs as a 6 seed and pulls a few upsets fooling everyone into thinking they are the second coming of the 86' celts and should never be broken up.