RE: Carroll

I don't see how Ainge had much of a choice though. How could he let him continue to coach the team when he knew that he wasn't in it for the long term? Eventually, the players would have found out, and now you have a sitting duck coach. How would Walter or Mark have responded knowing their beloved coach was going to be gone? Now you're risking a mutiny.

Maybe Obie volunteered to stay until the end of the season, but he knew dang well that Ainge couldn't allow that to happen. He once again used his wit to get his way while making the other guy look bad.

P.S. - the situation is similar to any job where someone in a high position offers a resignation. Usually, even if they offer to stay onboard for a period of time, they are asked to leave immediately.

From: "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Eggcentric@xxxxxxx, Celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Carroll
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:57:26 -0500

I think you're right. My fault. That's pretty much the only response
when someone mentally checks out on you mid-season, but you're right --
it was Ainge's choice, not Obie's, to make it official now. And it has
turned out terribly.

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: Eggcentric@xxxxxxx [mailto:Eggcentric@xxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:48 AM To: Berry, Mark S; Celtics@xxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Carroll

< This was Obie's last screw job. He threw the team into chaos by
quitting
when he did. I can't believe he hasn't received more criticism for this.

-MarkB

I believe that Obie privately informed Ainge and Wallace he would like
to leave at the END of this season and that for better or for worse,
the ever hotheaded Ainge suggested he leave now (Jan. 27th).

Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/