From: Sean Giovanello <sgiovanello@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Eggcentric@xxxxxxx, Celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cleveland game, Rasheed trade, etc.
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:08:47 -0500

***

Antoine wasn't on board with the style changes and was sabotaging the changes Ainge was trying to make.
***

what evidence do you have of this?

***
If it had
just been a bad contract, maybe he could have waited. But he wanted to
change the culture of the team, and that wasn't happening as long as
Antoine was around.
***

Isnt Antoine a model player and teammate when compared to Sheed? Is the culture any better with Antoine gone? Are we a fast breaking team these days?

***

Sean, on using the Dallas pick as sweetener for a Barry deal... The
Dallas pick has little value. You're talking about a pick in the
25-or-later range. It's nice to have so you can take a flyer on a HS kid
or a Euro player, but if you can trade it to land you a four-year
starter, you do it. And Daniels isn't nearly the player Barry is. He's a
better defender, but he's a tweener guard with no real point guard
instincts. He's Alvin Williams, without the outside shot. If Antonio
Daniels is your point guard, you're still looking for a point guard.
***

Well, according to a lot of people on here that Dallas pick was a key part of the Walker deal and not a throw in by the Mavs. Even if is not going to be worth that much, I would want better than Brent Barry. A team with Brent Barry as your PG is still looking for a PG as you said. Barry is pretty much just what this team doesnt need - a pg who plays little defense, it not particularly fast, and can shoot the three. If OB were still here maybe (he would get him to play D or he wouldnt play). If we trade and then sign Barry, it will be another multiyear contract on a guy we cant get rid of and one who is not a key part of the solution here. If Barry is your PG, this team will probably not win 44 games next year and is no closer to exiting this rebuilding phase than it is now. I would rather see a Travis Best than Barry. Sign another 1 and done guy if need be, if we cant get someone good dont waste Mills and a pick to do it...just use Mills to get whatever we think can !
be a part of the solution here.

Berry, Mark S wrote:

I'm going to respond to several different posters here:

1. Why didn't the Celtics do a similar deal with Antoine? Ainge didn't
want to wait another year and a half. Antoine wasn't on board with the
style changes and was sabotaging the changes Ainge was trying to make.
He didn't want that kind of influence around for 18 months. If it had
just been a bad contract, maybe he could have waited. But he wanted to
change the culture of the team, and that wasn't happening as long as
Antoine was around.

2. Egg, on Brent Barry and would he eliminate plans to use the mid-level
exception. That's not what Ainge has said. He has said he'd like to use
Mills' contract to get one mid-level type player (let's say Barry) and
use the actual mid-level exception to get another player (let's say a
PF) this summer. Now, you probably don't believe him and you may be
right. That's what he has said. I think if you can sign Barry for
something in the neighborhood of four years/$23 million (what Barry is
asking for from the Sonics), that's probably fair market value. That's
mid-level money. Is he my first choice? No, but he might be my first
choice of what's available. We just don't know what's available. And for
all the complaining about his defense, has anyone watched Mike James
play defense? He's no Gary Payton himself. Banks is a good defender
against small guards, but he's no point guard on the offensive end. I
think Barry could be a nice fit.

3. Sean, on using the Dallas pick as sweetener for a Barry deal... The
Dallas pick has little value. You're talking about a pick in the
25-or-later range. It's nice to have so you can take a flyer on a HS kid
or a Euro player, but if you can trade it to land you a four-year
starter, you do it. And Daniels isn't nearly the player Barry is. He's a
better defender, but he's a tweener guard with no real point guard
instincts. He's Alvin Williams, without the outside shot. If Antonio
Daniels is your point guard, you're still looking for a point guard.

Mark