Re: Targeting teams that are targeting Kobe

I could see the Celts sending Mills to the Suns for Jahidi White and a
first-rounder if Ainge can't find a player who can be a more significant
contributor. White would come in handy since the team is so thin up
front, but your three frontcourt players would all be centers. I don't
think Jahidi is anything more than a big body to throw out there.

But the value would be the pick. I don't think Ainge is hunting for
picks, though. I think he's looking for players who can help. That's why
I think if he does anything with Phoenix, he insists that Vujanic is
included. He, by all accounts, is exactly the kind of point guard Ainge
is looking for. The Suns could rationalize dealing Vujanic because they
have Barbosa as a developmental point guard.

It wouldn't shock me to see Ainge do a deal just for White and a draft
pick, but I don't think that's what he's looking for. I think he wants
to fill some needs with players that can help no later than next season.
Personally, I'd be OK with White and a pick, but I'd be really excited
if it was White and Vujanic. If Vujanic is the best point guard in
Europe, as everyone suggests, then you're getting a steal.

As for trading Blount, Ray, that's a little more tricky. I wouldn't
trade him for Fortson, who certainly doesn't fit Ainge's vision of a
mobile team and comes attached to a terrible contract. I'd be reluctant
to trade him at all - UNLESS Ainge is getting signals that Blount
expects a huge raise after this season. Blount is the kind of guy teams
make mistakes with - expensive mistakes. Look at Jim McIlvaine, Calvin
Booth, Vitaly Potapenko, etc. They're decent role players that teams
vastly overpay for because they're afraid they'll lose them. Then, once
they overpay for them, they spend the rest of the contract trying to get
rid of them. A guy like Blount has great value at $1.5 mill a year (or
whatever he's making now). He turns into an albatross if he's suddenly
making $5 mill a year. And if you don't think $5 mill is realistic, look
around the NBA. Look at the Calvin Booths, Evan Eschmeyers, Kenny
Thomases, etc.  Even Tony Battie qualifies.

So, if Ainge is getting signals from Blount's agent that it will take a
huge raise to keep him, then by all means trade him if you can get
something. But if you can keep Blount for a reasonable price, you keep
him. I'm sure Ainge is already in touch with Blount's agent, so he has a
good idea of which way it's going to go.

The guy who may be made available is Mihm. He's young, cheap and
talented (so why wouldn't the Celtics want him?), but Obieroll doesn't
seem to like his game. If he's just going to be a bit player, I'm sure
Ainge can find some takers.

Mark

P.S. Jaims, I know exactly what you mean about Saturday's game. I don't
think I've ever been as unsatisfied after a 30-point win over the
Sixers. Don't get me wrong - it was a great win, with some positive
signs (better use of Pierce, getting him shots off the ball...  Ricky
Davis fitting in nicely... ) ... But Mihm got the two quick fouls and
didn't get much of a chance after that. Which I could have accepted if
Walter didn't get ALL of those minutes. Where was Hunter? And, like you
said, you don't get many opportunities to develop young guys in game
situations. When you're up by 30 points in the third quarter, there are
opportunities for some real PT. And no one says you have to play both
Hunter and Kendrick at the same time. But Carroll could have worked one
in at a time until the game was in hand. Instead, they watched Walter
until the four-minute mark.

One more thing on John Carroll... Is it any wonder Obie was so stubborn?
He was surrounded on his staff by people who think exactly the same way
he does. Carroll is making a few little changes, but it's clear he's
Obie-lite. Do you think Carroll ever said anything to Obie that made
Obie think, "hmm... I hadn't thought of it like that... "