Re: Peter May Attacks The Devil Ainge

--- You wrote:
Kestas, take note. Just as you smartly suspected, the Brain Doc has no
taste. Eh Gods, who's next... Rasheed?
--- end of quote ---

Oh well, at least I can recognize a con artist, even if I don't know shit about
basketball and can't tell a "snake" from an earnest Mormon boy :)

That said, if Ainge indeed staffs this team with the 'sheeds, rubens, eddie
griffins and their ilk from the "endless parade of [athletic] human debris" (to
borrow a phrase from Rush Limbaugh), then I'll admit that your "screeching"
about Ainge's chosen strategy and methods was well-founded. On the other hand,
if being a solid citizen is so much more important than talent in the NBA, why
did you bemoan the signing of solid-guy, but relatively untalented Mike James?

Anyway, I think that one head case in Ricky Davis is enough for the current
team. Unless, of course, you're implying that there are others on the current
Celtics (not counting Banks's youthful immaturity). If there are not, then I
don't understand why P-may has been wearing out his knees praying at the Eric
Williams shrine and stabbing the Ainge doll. It's not like Ainge has replaced
all the solid guys on the Celtics with headcases. He saw an opportunity to
significantly upgrade the talent level and he took it.

As I and others have said many times before, players like EWill, while valuable
and necessary, are a lot easier to obtain than major talents like Ricky. It's
called UPPPPside: while Ricky potentially (!) can be made to play good D and is
potentially capable of maturing into a solid veteran who also has fantastic
talent, EWill can never have the sort of athleticism and talent that Ricky
possesses.   In other words, EWill falls into the "necessary but insufficient"
category, while Ricky Davis can potentially be both. That, of course, won't
happen while Obie Junior's coaching the team (what was Ainge thinking?!), but
that's a different topic. Davis will need a real coach and to be surrounded by
solid veterans to even have a chance.

If you're skeptical about Davis's chances of maturing, I don't blame you - I'm
skeptical myself. But it's a gamble worth taking for 50 cents on the dollar.
Ricky Davis also has that "fire" that eludes a lot of talented players (Joe
Johnson comes to mind).  Also, you may want to consider that EWill didn't
himself exactly start out as Mr. Solid Citizen. He was an immature NBA
sophomore with lousy work ethic and an aversion to defense, which got him
traded to Denver. He was a petty thief and small-time hustler as a teenager,
who constantly got in trouble with the law. At least some of the same things
applied to another trusty veteran, the player formerly known as El Busto (who,
btw, is injured again). Heck, even Evil Toine, while still holding the team in
his 'grasp', started (attempting) to play defense in his mid 20's. So, it's
possible, if not very likely,  that the gamble could pay off. And if it does,
the payoff will be much greater than a couple of aging solid-guy veterans and a
clueless leaper.

Kestas, curious to see whether Egg will again conveniently "slip away" instead
of arguing her case.