Bulpett: Vin Is Ready To Go

(Baker's agent working the buyout angle rather than termination...)

Suspended Baker wants back in
By Steve Bulpett
Thursday, February 5, 2004
Vin Baker would like to be back playing for the Celtics by tomorrow, but the club didn't sound confident that the suspended big man will be available that soon - if ever.

Baker was hit with an indefinite suspension on Jan. 23 for failing to comply with a rehabilitation program to deal with alcohol abuse and emotional issues. It constituted a ``third strike'' in an agreement between Baker and the Celtics, and sources told the Herald at that time the team announced the most recent suspension that it would last a minimum of five games. An independent physician is now in charge of Baker's case.

The attending doctor must deem him fit to return, and if that period lasts 10 games, it will constitute a ``fourth strike'' on Baker. Failing a test, or failing to present himself when a test is called for, would also constitute a fourth strike.

The threshold is significant in that it will give the Celtics the right to try to sever their contract with Baker under the uniform player's contract, specifically the clause that states a player will present himself fit to play NBA basketball.

But according to Aaron Goodwin, who has returned as Baker's representative after parting with the player last season, Baker is ready to go.

``Vin has put himself in a position where it's not up to him whether he can play or not play,'' Goodwin said yesterday. ``It's up to the doctors. But I think the best thing for Vin is to be playing for the Boston Celtics, as long as he is in compliance (with his aftercare program). We think he's ready to play, and we'd like to see him playing as soon as possible.

``We feel coming back and playing as early as Friday is the best thing for him. We'd like to see that happen, but, again, that's not his decision. We just want to work with the Celtics to do what's best for them and for Vin.''

If Baker and Goodwin were looking for encouraging signs from the Celtics, CEO and managing partner Wyc Grousbeck wasn't offering any before last night's game against the Los Angeles Clippers at the FleetCenter.

``It's between Vin and his physicians at this point, and we haven't heard anything to suggest that he'll be back any time soon,'' Grousbeck said.

Asked if he took it as a good sign that Baker's representative is saying the player could be ready to go any day now, Grousbeck let a long pause hang in the air before offering up a reply.

``At the beginning of the season we had hoped that Vin had shaken his problems, and our stance now is that we're always hopeful,'' Grousbeck said. ``But at this point we're waiting for the doctors to tell us what's going on.''

Grousbeck wouldn't discuss what is best for the Celtics at this point, but it has become clear from conversations that the club would find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to count on Baker if he does come back. More likely the Celts would seek to sever the remainder of the contract, which carries a price tag of $30.375 million over the next two years.

To get to that point would entail a major legal battle with Baker and the Players Association, but it is a battle the Celtics appear prepared to engage.

On the question of whether things are different now that Baker has twice failed to comply with his rehab since early January, Grousbeck's response was telling.

``There's been no change in our position,'' he said. ``We want what's best for Vin. The question is, what is best for Vin?''

Goodwin is known for aggressively taking up his client's cause, and it is certain he will be a worthy participant if the Celtics seek to end their relationship with Baker. But yesterday he was taking a conciliatory note.

``I'm just involved now in the process of trying to get Vin back on the same page with the Celtics,'' Goodwin said. ``I think Vin's a great person and a good kid. He's battling a tough situation, and I think he'll do a lot better in this with the support of the Celtics. Vin's a strong individual, and he has an issue that he has to deal with.

``We'd like to see this work out for both Vin and the Celtics. And if it was up to Vin he'd be back Friday. But it's not.''