From: Snoopy the Celtics Beagle <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 3, 2004 7:38 PM
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx, Celticsstuffgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: choosing comfort over common sense

<sni>
Today, USA Basketball announced--and I'm quoting from ESPN.com--it was
"working with Athens organizers and US Olympic committee officials to
determine whether the team should stay on a luxury liner that will be used
for athlete's housing."

"At this point, probably the most prominent reason would be better
performance conditions in terms of being closer to our venue," USA
Basketball spokesman Craig Miller said. "There's less traffic, it's near
our practice site and our preliminary round venue."

Less traffic?  Near the practice site?

In January, one stretch for the Celtics:  on the 13th at Milwaukee, on the
14th at home vs. Houston, on the 16th at Orlando, on the 18th at home vs.
San Antonio, on the 20th, back to Florida against Miami, on the 23rd at
home against Washington, and on the 25th at New Jersey.  Seven games
between the 13th and the 25th, no consecutive games at home, and a back to
back away and home.

You'd think people would be thrilled to play the games at the same place
with no flights in between.  They drive from the village to the court--most
likely in a bus, not individual cars.  And I doubt they'll be required to
suffer the normal rigors of Athens traffic--which, I might add, is not as
bad as Boston, according to a friend who's driven in both cities.

But no, the Olympic village is not good enough.  They want to stay on a
boat, a "luxury liner" no less.

I don't honestly know who is responsible for this idiocy--be it the
officials at USA Basketball, the USOC, or the players themselves.  Whomever
it is, this is utterly stupid.  The athletes should stay at the village and
hand with their fellow athletes.   Not only is it simpler logistically,
it's also safer to stay where several countries worth of protection can
keep en eye on things.  Theres also the fact that it shows you're not above
everyone else.  Whatever you may think of some of the other basketball
teams, some of the fastest, strongest and most agile athletes on the planet
are there.  Go say hello, hang out.  Maybe play a pickup game with the
Canadian Curling team.

But stop acting like you're all that.  There's no Gold Medal for vanity,
stop competing for it.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle