Re: The Best and The Brightest

In a message dated 9/30/2003 5:42:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Eggcentric@xxxxxxx writes:
As you all likely know, the Red Sox ended their season at 95-67, clinching
a playoff birth.
     Egg, thanks for this capsule of the Sox season.  Out here on the west
coast we get the dry stats and little more.  Did you see the HBO show, "The
Curse of the Bambino?"  I had two major revelations from it.  First, Buckner's
error, while sad, wasn't the disaster I remembered and which it has become
through time.  I had vaguely thought that if he makes the play, the series is over.
Wrong.  The Mets had already tied the game.  Even if he makes the play, they
have to build a new lead and then win game 7.  Second, what will fans do The
Day After if the Sox win?  I remember watching the Phillies win in 1980(?).
They hadn't won a series in my lifetime that I can recall (mid 1940s), so in my
mind they had a mystique.  As soon as they won that last game, though, they
were just another team.  And they still are.
      Finally, I hope that either the Sox or Cubs lose in the first round.
It would be inhuman cruelty to put them into the Series against each other, and
almost as cruel to taunt us with the chance that that would happen.  Kill one
of them off quickly.
 - Doug