re: Vecsey says the Celts are discussing Battie-Ewill for Antonio Dav is

As previously noted, it doesn't work cap wise. Davis has two years left on his
contract and it's more favorable for the Celtics to just let Williams go after
the season, especially if Walker makes good on his reported threats
to leave. If Baker exited this season:  59 - 14 = 45 - 5 = 40 - 14  = 26.
A figure in that vicinity is what the Celtics are striving for, so they can sign a Impact MAX Free Agent. Of course, if Walker and Williams leave, but Baker stays, then big
problems.

The key is for Baker to either play well and attract the attention of teams wanting
frontcourt help, who aren't bothered by the luxury tax, and have players with expiring
contracts like the Knicks with Ward and Knight or  Dallas with Chris Mills or for
his contract to be negated or for him to  retire with a favorable buyout.
Ray