The NBA and the rest of the planet

I've been thinking about the NBA and the discussions--online and off--about
how ill-prepared the USA is for international competition.  I wondered what
could be done in a way that would also address what I personally perceive
as some of the NBA's biggest logistical problems.  Here's what I came up
with initially:

The NBA needs to eliminate 10 teams from the league, reducing the total
number of teams to 20.  This would accomplish several things at once.  The
players from those teams would be dispersed by either draft or lottery
amongst the remaining teams.  Elimination of teams would be based first on
simple finances: who's losing the most money for the least return.  Then,
by eliminating multiple regional teams.  Yes, the Clippers would become an
instant bad memory and their owner can write it all off on taxes, which he
seems determined to do anyway.  Same for the Heat, and at least one of the
three teams in Texas.

This would deepen the benches of remaining teams so the league would no
longer have to scout elementary schools at recess for the next
draft.  Players would have to play harder to keep their jobs, and some of
these ridiculous contracts would be nonexistent as players realize it's a
GM's market.

Then there's the benefit to the schedule, which brings up the next thing
they need to do, which is to shorten and move the NBA season.  Get rid of
all but one or two preseason games, shorten the season, and get it done by
early May.  If King David I is determined to monopolize playoff games on
TV, let's do away with the ridiculous amount of time between games.  As
soon as the winners of series one are ready, let them have at it for round
two.  If that happened, you would have a lot more time to prepare a US team
to practice for international games.

Next, the rules need to be changed to bring the NBA and international games
closer.  Find out which rules the other countries can't live without and
implement them in the NBA.  While I personally like the free throw line
further out, we'd probably best get used to the shorter international
arc.  Change the time out rules too, so the refs don't have to guess which
one of twelve people on or near the court is calling for a timeout.  I
think the goaltending rules might work for the international games, if you
can get them to go for it.  In any case, we need to stop moaning about
"changing the mindset of the players" every time FIBA is mentioned.  Let's
get everyone playing the same game.

Decide now whether the NBA joins the international leagues or remains a
separate entity.  Daniel the First is itching to have NBA teams in
Europe.  But those theoretical teams would have a ridiculous amount of
travel time to the US, no matter how you slice it. Better there should
either be an "NBA Europe", or make the NBA part of the international
League.  The shorter NBA schedule would allow the US teams to travel more
readily with less adverse impact.

There's also the possibility that the NBA should elect to stay out of
international play altogether.  Let the USOC put together a true national
team and play them consistently.  With fewer NBA teams, there'll be no
shortage of qualified players to either put on the national team, or
temporarily replace players from NBA teams who join the national team, say
for a year, or something.  (I'm in favor of making ALL players actually
audition for membership on the US team, with specific criteria, so players
like Paul Pierce won't be snubbed because the idiots who picked the players
were in collusion to make sure they got the one guy they wanted.  But
that's probably better suited for another post)

I just get tired of hearing the USOC and the NBA go into panic mode every
time someone dares to suggest that the US team is neither properly trained
or prepared to play international basketball.  While I'm annoyed at the
political maneuvering that got Larry Brown into the coaching position; I
give him credit for standing up sand saying--not only at this year's
qualifiers, but at his own Hall of Fame induction--that the US needs to be
better prepared.

I'm not by any means sure if any of this is logistically possible, or that
it's an objectively good idea.  But I think SOMETHING needs to be done.

"When in doubt, do something!" -- Harry Chapin

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle