Count me as a big Banks booster as well...

> But then a funny thing happened.  A rumor surfaced that the Celtics were
> definitely going to draft Banks.  So by June 22, most of the Gurus had
> promoted the defensively minded but offensively unproven 5'11'' Banks
> (listed at 6'2'') to #20 on their respective draft lists.  In their final
> mock drafts of June 26th, almost all had come to agree that Banks
> would be taken by the Celts at #16.

Point is? Draft Gurus are wrong all the time..they are usually only
basketball writers..

Most of whom haven't played at a very high level, and don't have time to
cover every single college program - not to mention the incredible amount of
international prospects. I also think they are under tremendous pressure to get a
story out..and don't really evaluate talent for the most part..they just go by
what they have heard.
Undoubtely if the guy was from a big time succesfull college program or a
interesting foreign place he gets rated highly.

There were some hints of his draft status..
Rebel X the UNLV guy had predicted Banks would go higher all along. The
rumours I heard indicate that the magic would have snapped him up earlier if not
for the trade.

I have more faith in the scounting departments of NBA teams then NBA writers.
Writers make bold predictions then conviently forget them when they are often
very wrong. Its nice work if you can get it.. Heck Lampe was supposed to go
fifth..

Banks schooled T.J. Ford in their head to head matchups, and shot 50% from
the field in his senior year in college. The idea that he can't hit a jumpshot
is suspect. He looks to have a better jump shot then T.J. Ford.  He doesn't yet
have NBA 3 point range but I am quite certain he is a better then Walker type
shooter - who can create his own shot.

Its not as if the Celtics are filled with great shooters. Pierce shot what
40% from the field, and  Walker .388% from the field. With Banks quickness as
long as he can shoot good enough to keep defenses honest he can create havoc out
there.

Banks was a four year college senior from a fairly big time (if unsuccesful)
college program...

He has played point guard all his life, and outperformed most of his
"competitors" in the summer league. I do  think he is NBA ready...and I think he will
surpass the expectations of any of the doubters on this list.

OB doesn't like playing rooks, but I think he will have hard time staying
away from Banks. If Bremer can get major minutes - Banks should get 30+ easily.
Banks is a far superior player.

Its guys like Joe Johnson, Mosio, Brown, Hunter, and Perkins who I think OB
tends to pass over. These guys play at positions where we don't HAVE to play
them. We pretty much are counting on Banks. Mike James isn't exactly Kenny
Anderson type veteran prescence.

Pete