-------------------
More depth gives O'Brien a charge

NBA Notes/by Mark Murphy
Sunday, September 14, 2003

When Jim O'Brien says that he looks forward to the depth he will have on
hand in training camp next month, it's with a truly relieved spirit.

 It was only last fall when the Celtics coach's options were severely
constricted by then-owner Paul Gaston's penurious policy after selling
the team to a group fronted by Irv and Wyc Grousbeck, Steve Pagliuca and
Robert Epstein. Gaston, careful not to spend more than necessary on a bare
bones level, restricted O'Brien to a 12-player payroll, which after injuries
often translated into 10 and eight-man practices.

That won't happen this year. The Celtics already have 14 players under
contract, including three rookies, and will carry a 20-man unit through
training camp - the maximum allowed by the league during the preseason.
No more looking down a shortened bench. No more grimacing with each
swing of the trainer's room door.

``We have more depth now, not only in terms of the numbers, but also in
terms of who the people are,'' said O'Brien.

Instead of last year's dilemma, when it became quickly apparent that
players such as Ruben Wolkowyski and Bruno Sundov were not going to be
of much game-time use, O'Brien can bank on a certain measure of support
from deep on his bench.

Last year, the options weren't all that great when Vin Baker's game - as
well as his fragile psyche - headed south for the winter.

O'Brien now has a willing, albeit raw, young bruiser in rookie Brandon
Hunter to keep practices lively. Ditto for rookie center Kendrick Perkins.
These are players who will most likely play their most valuable roles
in practice over the next six months.

``I'm not really concerned about whether we have 12 or 14 players under
contract,'' said director of basketball operations Danny Ainge. ``The
premium goes on the quality of the players you have.

``It's a luxury that ownership has afforded Jim O'Brien the ability to
have 14 guys under contract, and to have a significantly higher payroll
than last year,'' he said. ``I'd still rather have 12 quality players than 14
who aren't, but I really think that we have 14 quality players right now.

``It's gonna help our practice situation. There's going to be some great
competition at just about every spot on the floor.''

Indeed, the only disparity may be in what Ainge calls the ``separation''
between veterans and young players on the Celtics roster.

``That's why we're going with 20 guys,'' he said. ``I'm not a fan of 20,
but I think we need that because of the age differences.''

Right now, to fill in those extra spots, the team is looking at a group
that includes journeyman free agents Rusty Larue, Chuck Ebsen, Eddie
Elisma, Jabare Smith and Ray Young.

Money on the line
It's fortunate that Baker has so thoroughly dedicated himself to
conditioning and shaking a dependence on alcohol.

It will help the big guy to forget the money that last season's suspension
cost him.

According to a league source, Baker's forced departure cost him
approximately $2 million in salary - an amount that has not been
recouped.

Baker's so-called comeback this season, which will include alcohol
testing, will also be conducted on a particularly precarious line.

Though one slip-up won't force Baker to forfeit the remaining three
years on his contract, a pattern similar to last year's mental collapse
would be enough to void the deal under a side agreement between the
two parties.

Which, of course, would punt a lot of money out the window. Baker
stands to make $13.5 million - an identical number to Antoine Walker -
this season. Paul Pierce is a veritable bargain at $11.4 million.

Baker, also like Walker, will bump up to $14.6 million in the 2004-05
season, followed by a colossal $15.8 million the following season.

Coles eyes Pacers

Bimbo Coles continues to forge ahead in an attempt to keep his calling
as a coach at bay. The 35-year-old, one-season Celtic is now pushing
for a chance with the Pacers and their new brain trust - coach Rick
Carlisle and general manager Larry Bird.

Coles nearly signed with the Pacers last season, before switching to
the Celtics after the Pacers brought in Tim Hardaway.

Little wonder that Coles wants this second shot at the Pacers, though.
After closely studying the work of O'Brien & Co. last season, Coles has
become even more appreciative of fine coaching.

``I'm a big fan of Carlisle's and the tremendous job he did in Detroit,''
Coles told the Indianapolis Star. ``I like his coaching style and the way
he emphasized defense.

``I'm also in the stage of my career when I only have a couple of years
left, and I want to win,'' he said. ``Now

I'm willing to do whatever an organization wants me to do - playing
defense, being a mentor or whatever. But it has to be an organization
that cares about its players and has a chance of winning a championship.
That's why it wouldn't take much for me to sign with the Pacers.''

Old rivals meet again

It's almost too good to be real.

Bill Laimbeer and Michael Cooper, leading their respective Detroit and
Los Angeles WNBA teams against each other for the league title?

It didn't take much to rekindle memories for either golden oldie.

``There are very fond memories, but no fondness for him,'' Cooper said of
one of the NBA's most legendary hack-masters. ``We were rivals. They
were the Bad Boys, and it was good basketball. You knew you had to come
and compete against those Detroit teams, and I'm sure they felt the same
way about us.

``It's kind of funny to see him on the other side, but this book isn't about
us,'' he said. ``We're just the book cover everyone wants to talk about. But
it is funny to look down there and see him once again. His uniform fit him
better than his suit does.''

Which really doesn't say much about Laimbeer's tailor.

``I was thinking about that the other day after Cooper starts calling me
names from when we played the Lakers,'' Laimbeer said. ``The hardest part
for us as the Pistons was getting past the Celtics.

``We had a bunch of young players who were very focused and confident of
themselves, going up against the two-time defending champions,'' he said.

``And we really didn't know any better than to bring our game and see who
wins. Unfortunately, we lost in seven.

``We should've won, but that's life. But it was a great series and the next
year, once we figured out the Lakers, we swept them. I wish I had more
time to play them some more before we went into the series to learn about
them, but toss up the ball and see who's best.''