Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Re: Courant article on Baker

At 09:52 PM 9/13/03 -0400, Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hey, Egghead. The other day you mentioned my positive rantings about Baker
>after we traded for him. Do you know where they are? I think I might be
>needing to referring to them....
>
>DJessen33

To save Eggy the trouble:  For the IGTC group, go back to July of 2002 and
good luck.  For the "stuff" group, go to the homepage on Yahoo, and look
through the messages around the end of July, 2002, when Baker was traded.

This time, I've decided to be a Good Beagle and look this up:

You posted several reports from the Sonics in advance of the trade, only
the first of which I've copied here (at the bottom of the post).  On July
20, you reported about how Rashard Lewis was making things tough for Seattle.

Later that day, in reply to a Hoopsworld article suggesting a three way
deal with the Knicks, you wrote: Hoopsworld is notorious for reading the
tea leaves and then writing on their own speculation. At any rate, if we do
this deal just to get Thomas and Ward, I would say it was time to get out
the tar and feathers. I like the original Baker deal because it is a deal
to get the final piece of the puzzle. It would be a risk, only because we
lose future flexiblility. Getting Thomas and Ward are just adding fringe
players, with slightly less years on their contracts. Kenny adds more than
these guys would so if we can't do the original deal, just wait for a
better one...

On the 21st, you offered several different trade scenarios without stated
preference.

Having a guy who can score inside and demand a double team is worth a lot
more than what Kenny and Vitally can give us on their best nights. If you
want to argue against the trade, stick to the future cap flexibility
issues. It is no doubt we are a better team with Baker than Vitally/Kenny
not considering the possible chance of resigning Rogers with a little cap
clearance during the trade...