Re: more Eurobasket news

>>Wonder why so few on this list have had so little interest in the Olympic
qualifying games or the Eurobasket.>>

  Of course I can only speak for myself.  I've kept up with what is going on
in Stockholm.
I haven't replied because I really don't have anything to say, although I
appreciate reading what others might.  It's been pretty much what I expected so
far.

  As for the Olympic qualifying games, I've read the stories and posts about
the games but to be honest, after the events of last summer I've been so angry
with USA basketball and the people that run it that I really don't care. I
didn't watch a single game and I wouldn't have watched even if it were free.  I
didn't care if we qualified, although it was almost certain we would, and I
don't care how we do in the Olympics next year.
USA basketball has gotten off with little criticism for the way they've been
running things.
Even after last summer they were able to shift almost all the blame on the
players who showed up.  I saw every single one of those games last summer, the
ones that counted and the ones that didn't count too.  It was very apparent to
me from the beginning that the team was flawed for international play and the
coaches didn't know enough about the rules to coach appropriately. They
haven't done a thing to change the way things are done.  They still think they can
overcome the built in disadvantages of unprepared players, unprepared coaches,
biased officials, and over zealous foreign (for the lack of a better word)
fans compared to complacent or uncaring American fans by just bringing in more
talent.
That's not going to work forever and the sooner they realize that the better.
I still haven't figured out how in the world they invited Jermaine O'Neal
back to play.  I like O'Neal as a player, but that guy did nothing but sleep walk
through those games last summer.  Of all the people they could have asked, he
would have been the last one in my mind.

BTW, here is a breakdown of who SHOULD have been the MVP of the Olympic
qualifiers according to one pundit.

<http://schallertpr.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=213389>

September 3, 2003
Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Joe Schaller

At last years World Championships Paul Pierce's amazing performance was
easily tops for the tournament yet we were led to believe by media morons that he
had failed. He was snubbed for the Allstars as were all from Team USA. A
mediocre player named Pero Cameron (NZ) made the allstar five despite a less than
mediocre tournament. This is typical.

This year we are led to believe that Steve Nash was MVP for the America's
Olympic Qualifying Tournament. I wonder what was Steve's reaction to the award?
He knows the truth about his sub-par performances featuring terrible shooting
(37%) and turnovers leading to Canada's elimination from next year's Olympics.
It certainly makes me wonder who are the lamebrains analyzing the talent at
international events.

Regardless I will gladly set the record straight once again and reveal the
true stars as well as the imposters.

****After last years World Championships I listed my Top 20 performers and
made a point to mention a couple of 23 year olds to keep an eye on. At the time
they received little or no attention from the media. They were Andres Nocione
(#11) of Argentina and Mehmet Okur (#16) of Turkey. We've seen how Okur
surprised everybody after a stellar rookie season with the Pistons and now we are
hearing raves about Nocione. In spite of the raves and tournament allstar
selection Nocione was not near as impressive this year as last and did not make my
top 20.

****Those who made my top 20 at both Olympic Qualifying and last years Worlds
were Emu Ginobili Arg, Frabrizio Oberto Arg, Daniel Santiago PR and Elton
Brand.

****With 6 of the top 7 TPR Allstars, USA domination was complete.

****As Pierce was easily MVP at the Worlds, Tim Duncan was easily MVP this
year.

****Puerto Rico's Jose Ortiz was the top non-USA performer.

****Argentina showed balance and depth with 7 players at a 100+ TPR, however
they did not place anyone on my top ten.

****Anderson Varejo of Brazil may have wanted to stay in the NBA draft after
his impressive performance.

****The New Jersey Nets had the distinction of the 3 lowest scores on Team
USA. Kenyon Martin (TPR 111) was respectable however Jason Kidd (TPR 61) and
Richard Jefferson (TPR 65) were absolutely horrible.

Olympic Qualifying Tournament Allstar selections: Steve Nash (MVP), Manu
Ginobili, Tim Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, Andres Nocione, Jose Ortiz

SCHALLERTPR ALLSTARS

My Allstar teams are calculated by Total Performance Ratings (productivity
per minute) with a bonus for total minutes played.

NBA TPR scale: 120+ superstar, 100+ allstar, 80+ starter, 65+ bench, 60 = min
wage

First Team_______TPR_"bonus_score

Tim Duncan USA______225__40__265

Jermaine O'Neal USA___182__39__221