2003 HOF Induction ceremonies

The current class of the Hall of Fame was inducted tonight in a live
broadcast watched by six people on NBAtv.  The event was a bit longer than
expected, unless you've heard Bill Walton speak in recent years.

The event was held in the new Hall, not the old auditorium, so there was a
lot less room for the fans to see it in person.  Also, Marv Albert tried to
be funny, and for the most part, failed as usual.  Can someone tell me if
Mike Fratello is getting commission for every joke Marv tells at his expense?

Since this is a Celtics-based  (and biased) report, let's get to it.  On
first glance, I saw that Red Auerbach, Bob Cousy, and KC Jones were among
the attendees, in addition, obviously, to Walton and inductee Robert
Parish.  Several inductees mentioned the Celtics team, players, and Red as
major influences, which was nice.

Given the inevitable "homer" nature of the location, it was nice to see
fans behaving when Jerry West introduced the late Chick Hearn, and giving
him fulsome applause, as they did for all the candidates.

Seeing Hearn go in as the first broadcaster made me wonder why Johnny Most
wasn't in there.  He should be, as someone who had as much of an impact on
the game as any broadcaster, Hearn included.
Maybe I'll look up the nomination procedure and see if I can cast his name
in for next year's ceremony.

A couple of people--noticeably Meadowlark Lemon, made a point about the
days before big money, sneaker and soft drink contracts--a subtle shot at
those seeking to elevate LeBron James before the kid has a chance to show
he knows what to do with the basketball at a professional level.

Big Bill Walton introduced Robert Parish by describing, in flowery prose,
the Chief's entire life up until about a week prior to the induction
ceremony.  I finally found someone more fond of hyperbole than Tommy Heionsohn.

Parish spoke quietly, with some humor, recognizing the influence of his
parents, high school coach, and teammates.  He remarked that he was so
excited at being traded out of a bad situation at Golden State, that he
didn't work out at all that summer.  Twelve days before training camp, he
started working out, a situation that he reported did not suit Celtics
coach Bill Fitch.  :>)

The program was interesting from an historical point of view, showing what
the early days of the NBA were like, and how much it has changed even in
our lifetimes.  On the negative side, the decision to broadcast exclusively
on NBAtv was a poor one, in my view.  I saw the move as another way to try
to force cable companies to carry the channel.  More likely, it will drive
customers to satellite, as it did me; or encourage people to tape the show
and make copies for their friends to see.

Incidentally, I did tape the program.

Prior to the live broadcast, NBAtv showed previous inductions, the shows
were heavily edited for time.  I knew this especially as Larry Bird's
presentation of Magic Johnson was almost edited out totally.  I have the
original on tape.  I missed Larry humorously recounting his saying "Suffer,
baby!" as he saw a dejected Magic leaving the arena after a loss to Boston.

I don't know why they edited the programs--it's not like they have a whole
lot else to show this time of year.  The station is a little cheap,
though--prior to the actual ceremonies, they showed clips of the inductees,
which I realized had been cribbed from the taped presentation of the
induction ceremony!  C'mon guys, it's not like you have to pay for extra
stock footage!  In addition, they insist on running that silly banner
across the bottom of the screen telling us we were watching the show that
was on the screen--apparently assuming viewers are too brain-dead to
remember the name of the program.

But it was nice to see the older players, and Red looked a lot better than
I've seen him all year.  He seems to be out of the "funk" he seemed to be
in following the passing of his wife and brother.

And that's the view from the doghouse, high above the supper dish.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle