Pair warm up to bench role

By Andy Nesbitt, Globe Staff, 10/30/2003

Last season Eric Williams and Tony Battie combined to make 140 of 164
regular-season starts. But when the opening tap last night marked the start of
another NBA season, the two were sitting next to each other on the bench.

Yet by the end of the night Williams and Battie were the biggest reasons
Celtics coach Jim O'Brien was so pleased about the depth of a lineup that
thoroughly outplayed the Miami Heat and won going away, 98-75.

Williams and Battie, who gave way to starters Kedrick Brown and Mark Blount,
combined for 25 points on 10-of-11 shooting and 12 rebounds.

Not bad for a couple of reserves.

"Coach knows what we can do as far as us being starters," said Williams, whose
only miss from the field (6 of 7, 15 points) came with 3:34 remaining. "But
for our team right now and the makeup of our team right now we are better
coming off the bench [while] getting some of the younger guys in there with
Paul Pierce and Vin Baker."

Battie finished a perfect 4 for 4 from the field for 10 points, including a
couple of two-handed dunks in traffic, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots.

"We came off the bench and we were helping guys get implemented in the
system," Battie said. "I was helping out Raef [LaFrentz] and Eric did a nice
job of helping Kedrick, backing him up. We've been there and done that before
and we are trying to get those guys on the same page so we can form a good
unit."

It helped that Baker (15 points, 5 rebounds) returned to the lineup looking
like the All-Star he has been in the past, and that Blount was able to be a
presence in the paint with four shots.

Battie believes the Celtics will only benefit from being able to rotate a
number of big men into the lineup. When the starters become tired or get into
foul trouble, he doesn't think the talent level on the court will diminish.

"Just bringing a stronger level of subs into the game," Battie said. "If the
guys in front of us are lacking a little bit, we can pick it up. If the guys
in front of us are playing strong, we can come in and keep that pedestal of
offense or defense, whatever it may be, strong."

That was evident in the third quarter when the Celtics scored 30 points and
upped their lead from 10 to 18, all with Pierce scoring only 2 points in the
quarter.

"I just thought we were able to get a feel for our depth and to be able to run
guys in and out, and try to keep fresh legs on the court," O'Brien said.

Williams came off the bench midway through third and collected 6 points,
including a 3-pointer that stretched the lead to 19.

Battie had only 2 points in the third but picked up both of his blocks in the
quarter as the Celtics clamped down defensively and put the game out of
reach.

"You just get out there and find your niche, whatever it may be," Battie said.
"If it's defensively, offensively, rebounding, setting good screens, whatever
you can do."

Williams, who started 78 of 82 games last year, doesn't mind coming off the
bench.

"I look at it as an advantage," he said. "I know when I come in there I am the
most rested guy on the court. I'm going to go out there and give them the
energy that is needed."

Williams and Battie could easily find themselves back in the starting lineup
in the near future. But for last night, at least, they filled their reserve
roles efficiently.

"The blend is real good," Williams said. "It's still early, we are still
trying to find certain rotations, but I think it's going to be like this."

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of comcast_bigad_102203_1.gif]