Banks pays dividends

By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Thursday, October 30, 2003

Rookie point guard Marcus Banks [news] looked very much like a rookie point
guard last night. Which is not to say Celtics coach Jim O'Brien was
disappointed.

     Banks came off the bench for four points and four assists in 20 minutes,
but was off the mark with a 1-for-9 shooting performance.

     ``I thought Marcus pressured the hell out of the basketball,'' O'Brien
said. ``I like the fact that he had four assists, one turnover. I'm not
concerned about anybody's shooting. I think it was a good solid first night
for a rookie point guard, and I think he's going to have a strong year. I
don't worry about his shots. I think his shot selection was very good, and if
you take good shots they'll fall.''

     Said Banks, ``My expectations for myself are incredible. I know what I
can do. It's going to come in a matter of time for me.''

     Barros back on court

     More than an hour before the game, Dana Barros was on the parquet floor
in sweat gear, taking shots with Paul Pierce [news] and doing some taping for
a segment on his new local cable TV show. Get used to seeing him around more.
The product of Boston College and Mattapan is getting back involved with the
Celtics, for whom he played five years in the late '90s.

     After a year out of the game, Barros feels its time to hook up again with
the club he grew up following.

     ``I've been talking with the team about how I'm going to be involved,''
Barros said. ``There's nothing definite yet. We're just getting things worked
out. I just want to make it official and be a part of the team for good. I
want to help any way I can.''

     Part of the work will be as an unofficial aid to the players.

     ``I was working with Paul a little, and my man Banks came up and we
talked,'' Barros said. ``I'm looking forward to doing little things like that.

     ``I'm a Boston guy, I love the Celtics and it's great being involved. I
get to hang out with Tommy Heinsohn and Bob Cousy. Hey, I'm grateful just to
be around those guys.''

     Palladino likes mic

     Opening night for new Celtic public address announcer Eddie Palladino
wasn't any more nerve-wracking than waiting to learn he had the job.

     ``I found out at 12:38 (Tuesday),'' said the East Boston native now
living in Saugus. ``I'd been a nervous wreck since Friday. The phone rang and
it was (Celtic marketing vice president) John Brody. He said, `How would you
like to be the official voice of the Boston Celtics?' It was a dream come
true.''

     Palladino was enjoying the new position even before he got behind the
microphone last night. Before he could get involved with his press room meal,
he was introduced to Red Sox PA man Carl Beane, who offered sage advice from
his first year at Fenway.

     ``Welcome to the fraternity,'' said Beane, who presumably showed
Palladino the secret handshake when the coast was clear. ``Be yourself. If you
can let your personality come through while letting the game dictate things,
then you'll have it.''

     Palladino, whose local accent is very welcome, has had the dream ``since
I was about 10 years old. I used to talk into a hairbrush in my room watching
games back in East Boston. I'd talk to the TV. My mother and my two sisters
used to think I was nuts. `What's he doing up there. He's watching the game,
but he's talking to the TV.' ''

     ``For me it was an upright vacuum cleaner,'' Beane said. . . .

     The passing this summer of press room attendant Bob ``Huzzah'' Howard
left a noticeable void on opening night. He is missed by all he helped and
befriended. . . .

     The Celtics' new white sneakers weren't the only funny thing last night.
Don Gavin and Steve Sweeney, two of Boston's best-ever comedians, were in the
front row. . . .

     The Celts hit the road quickly, with games tomorrow night in Memphis and
Saturday in New Orleans.
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx