Baker's stirring a little

By Mark Murphy/Celtics Notebook
Wednesday, October 29, 2003

For Vin Baker, the toughest part heading into tonight's season-opener against
Miami will be the simple process of easing his nerves.

     For a player initially considered a backup to Antoine Walker [news] - and
someone who is striving to overcome the effects of alcoholism - a sudden
starting role in the wake of Walker's trade is a tough calling indeed.

     ``I just want to get out there and get the butterflies out of the way,''
the Celtics power forward said after yesterday's practice. ``I have a long way
to go. I've only reached half of my potential.''

     That has to be particularly heartening news for Celtics coach Jim
O'Brien, who has been one of Baker's main supporters during training camp,
when Baker averaged a solid 8.1 points and 5.6 rebounds coming off the bench.

     ``I'm very confident with him,'' O'Brien said. ``He's shown us he can
score in the low post, and he's having fun out there. His ability to sprint
the court has been phenomenal. And he's been as good a defender as we've had
out there.''

     Said Paul Pierce [news]: ``I'm very impressed. He came out here at the
start of camp and just seemed like a guy on a mission. He's getting the job
done. He's completely focused, and he's getting the job done every day.''

     Baker, of course, is not one to argue. ``I couldn't have asked for a
better start in practice,'' he said. ``I feel great.''

     Still Riley's Heat

     O'Brien does not expect to see anything different in the Stan Van Gundy
Heat than the Pat Riley Heat would have put on the floor.

     ``You can't change within a couple of days,'' O'Brien said. ``Stan and
Pat have been together for a number of years, anyway. We've practiced for them
with the idea that Pat is still the head coach.

     ``But it's difficult to get a read on any team during the preseason,
anyway. They'll always come out with something up their sleeves that you
haven't seen yet.

     ``I know that they have great scorers at the 2 and 3 in (Lamar) Odom and
(Eddie) Jones,'' he said. ``And Brian Grant always gives us fits. They play
extremely hard, and they always defend with a great deal of intensity.''

     Blount work pays

     Mark Blount, starting center? Consider Blount's promotion a testament to
hard work.

     ``He's a workaholic with his body,'' O'Brien said. ``He works out twice a
day during the summer. He came in in peak condition.''
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx