2003-04 prediction (Celtics & NBA)

[Snoopy -- i mostly read the list via the web, where Addresses are XXXXXXXXX'ed out to block spam, so sorry i didn't get this to the right address]

While my prediction might not reflect it, I can't remember being this excited about a season since 1997 (Pitino's first season). I have a lot of confidence in what Ainge is doing and was really encouraged with OBrien's comments today that the last few seasons, last year especially, that he was just trying to survive -- due to a (Wallace-induced-)lack of depth. Run, Celtics, Run!

PREDICTION: 41-41, 6th in East (3rd in Atlantic)

Rationale: I think it will take some time for the team to gel and become familiar with each other, but will become comfortable with each other by February. But I also think (hope) Ainge is going to do something around the Trade Deadline which will hurt their overall record (like Orlando last year) but radically improve our chances for next season (say: Mills & Williams for Antawan Jamison? Please!?!)

For those of you familiar with Bill Simmons' Ewing theory are this year's Celtics eligible?

Here's how I see the rest of the NBA shaking out (comments welcomed)

EAST
1. Detroit (52-30) -- everyone seems to forget they had a better record than the Nets AND added Larry Brown
2. Philly (50-32) -- Ayers is talking the same up tempo as Ainge/Obrien; Marc Jackson is the key to surprising the East
3. Indiana (51-31) -- losing Isaiah is good for 4 more wins alone.
4. New Jersey (45-37) -- Martin and Jefferson are already nicked up, the last 2 years catch up this year
5. New Orleans (45-37) -- too much talent to finish much lower, Floyd can't be that bad can he?
6. Boston (41-41) -- see above; Sticking with prediction we finish ahead of fellow-Floridians, Magic
7. Chicago (40-42) -- If Chandler misses extended time, they could slip out of playoffs, otherwise lower than 8 = disappointment
8. Orlando (40-42) -- I don't see Howard making the difference they need, predict McGrady breaks down at some point
--------------------------
9. Washington (37-45) -- Nice young core and good coach, not crazy about their bench though.
10. Atlanta (36-46) -- I actally don't think the Hawks will be as bad as everyone else. Losing Big Dog is addition by subtraction
11. Milwaukee (35-47) -- As with Atlanta, I think some stabilty in Milw. (Porter, team not for sale) will help make up for loss of talent
12. Miami (31-51) -- You never know with the Heat, but I think they'll be helped by moving on from Zo
13. Toronto (29-53) -- too much talent to finish this low, but everyone seems to be unhappy and Moiso can't beat out Bosh, not a good sign.
14. Cleveland (27-55) -- Silas (not James, who will be good initially, not great IMO) may actually have them competing for a playoff spot by next season. I like how they're building this team, I'm happy for JR Bremer that he landed there.
15. New York (26-56) -- Sprewell's gone, Houston's hurt, their thinking of waiving their 2nd best PF, Mutombo is calcified (but will still help). NY is a mess and McDyess will probably get hurt 20 games into his comeback. Hello, Lottery. <start Jim Mora voice>: Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!!? </jim Mora>

WEST
1. San Antonio (60-22) -- Every year i think they'll slip and every year I'm wrong. Their bench finishes 8th in the East.
2. Sacramento (59-23) -- Better that Webber's hurt now rather than at the end of the year.
3. LA Lakers (56-26) -- Bryant becomes a Grant Hill-like distraction, but too much talent to finish lower. Shaq carries 'em.
4. Dallas (55-27) -- This can't work. I hope it implodes and they trade us Antawan Jamison for cap relief.
5. Minnesota (52-30) -- Too much turnover to finish much higher, but by the end of the year they'll be scary.
6. Houston (47-35) -- Should be better than this with Yao, but it'll take a year for Van Gundy to get them top 4
7. Pheonix (47-35) -- Marbury seems to be getting it finally and looks like they may have a new starting C (Battie?)
8. Portland (47-35) -- When Portland is relying on Bonzi Wells for leadership I think you have a problem. Will miss Pippen
9. Seattle (39-43) -- If Allen misses more than a month, drop them 2-3 places
10. Memphis (37-45) -- A full year of Hubie-Ball and the addition of Posey, Miller (full year) gets them to the doorstep of the playoffs. Could sneak in if either Swift plays like he did when Wright was gone last year or if they can trade him for a legit PF/C.
11. Golden St. (35-47) -- reminds me of the Nique/Radja-era Celtics. Would you rather be replacing our Antoine with LaFrentz or their Antawan with Dunleavy (who i think will be another Duke bust)? I'm glad I'm a Cetlics fan.
12. LA Clippers (32-50) -- New coach and the loss of distractions (entire starting 5 were free agents this summer) will allow this team to start getting better.
13. Utah (29-53) -- Best preseason record, suprise. Won't be as bad as some are predicting, as long as Sloan is coaching. Masterfully using their salary cap space to (a) stockpile picks & cash, and (b) retain flexibility for next year. They won't stay down for long -- they're front office is too good.
14. Denver (22-60) -- Overall, I think the additions to this team this summer were fair to poor. 4 guards (Miller, Lenard, Barry, Boykins) when your only Centers/PF are Nene and Camby?