Denials... you can bet they were (are?) talking

I don't buy the denials in the paper today at all. Dawson saying he hadn't
talked with the Celtics in two months??? Come on. We're not that dumb. No, I
believe this trade was - and maybe still is - being discussed. I think the
leak yesterday probably seriously hurt, if not destroyed, any chances of it
happening. Everyone involved is just trying to make the best of an awkward
situation with all the players involved.

But we do know that Griffin isn't happy in Houston and the Rockets aren't
happy with him. We do know (it has been reported, anyway), that the Rockets
are trying to fill in with role players around Francis and Griffin. We know
that the Celtics' two glaring needs are young, impact talent (Griffin) and
scoring in the wake of the Antoine trade (Mobley). The Rockets would be
getting guys who play defense and have been on playoff teams and dumping the
worst contract in the deal (Mobley).

Anyway, it all makes too much sense. It may not happen, but I don't believe
for a second that it wasn't discussed, and seriously at that.

I think most of us would agree it's a great trade for the Celtics. I don't
know that it would work out as well as we'd all hope (I have doubts about
Griffin growing up and Mobley accepting a role off the bench - which he's
best suited for). But it's clearly the kind of risk that's worth taking.
Griffin is young, talented, on a cheap contract and will never be more of a
value acquisition than he is right now. If he works out and grows up, you
have an all-star. If he doesn't, he's cheap to get rid of. Mobley's contract
is more of a problem, but he has been productive for long enough that even
if he balks at coming off the bench (and I'm convinced that's his role on a
great team - like a Vinnie Johnson or Andrew Toney), he's easy enough to
move. And the bottom line is, you're not giving up much. Neither EWill or
Battie are in the future plans. It's exactly the kind of deal you'd want to
make to cash in a contractual asset like EWill.

If it works out, then in three years, the Celtics may just be title
contenders.

Mark