re: re: Battie & Williams

 > Well no duh ray.
>
> my point was not that EWill is untouchable, but that Williams is the
> Celtics' Kevin Millar

It's a poor comparison for one thing, as Varitek not Millar, is the heart and
soul of the Sox, and Williamsdoesn't approach Variteck's level of influence. I say Todd Walker is a better analogy for what Williams does on and off the field, and you know what, the Sox aren't likely to re-sign him.

 and unless we get an all-star PF/C, I dont' think
> we'll get equal value for what EWill brings off-the court.

Oh boy. Talent is the ultimate factor, not off the court variables. Chemistry helps, but
talent wins out.  They won't miss Williams, when he's gone. He's simply an
okay player, who can be replaced with whatever more talented player they bring in.

After all, William's heart and soul never got the Celtics 50 wins in the
crappy East, never got them past New Jersey in the playoffs, never would
have been a factor, if Pierce hadn't blossomed into one of the better players in
the league, never would have had the Celtics in the playoffs if they were
in the Western Conference.

No, Eric's heart and soul doesn't mean a hill of beans really in the greater
scheme of the  NBA.

His intangibles aren't going to help the Celtics beat the quality teams this upcoming
season, but a trade with him and others might bring a player back who can.

Deal him off and improve the team by all means, Danny Boy.
Ray