Re: Battie

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 12:45 AM, John Lyell wrote:

I think you overrate Battie. Anchor of our defense? He was pretty invisible
in the playoffs from what I recall. We really need a big man like a Cato,
Foyle, or Marc Jackson. We should have added Drobjnak but Cato would be a
good defensive addition.

John

While I don't think he's a traditional "anchor of our defense" I think Battie's mobility, ability to block shots and disrupt things "anchors" OB/Harter's defense -- in a way some of the folks you listed above wouldn't. Remember too that Battie was probably playing pretty hurt last year in the playoffs.

don't get me wrong -- I'd love to have a bruiser like Marc Jackson (esp. if he played the way he did in last year's playoffs) or maybe even Foyle, but my point was that Battie is sort of like Eric Williams -- while he might not succeed on other teams, he plays an understated role on THIS team (the only team that matters after all...) and is therefore a bit more valuable than I think he's given credit for.

I'd have to think for a minute about trading Battie straight up for Jackson (who seems to have a motivation problem), and certainly wouldn't for any of the other folks you listed. Like I said unless we could get a "true" center or a more "true" PF, what's the point in further disrupting things by getting rid of Battie?

His contributions are efficient, his contract is solid, and IIRC is one of Pierce's best friends on the team (wasn't Battie (or his brother) the one who drove PP to the hospital?).

Personally I'd like to see Ainge hold pat and lets go to war with this bunch. If something opens up at the trade deadline, so be it, but for now, LETS GET IT ON!

(the other) mark
anxiously awaiting Oct. 29!