From: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Mark Piotrowski
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 1:41 PM
To: Celtics
Subject: Battie

I'm as into coming up with trade scenarios as the next guy, but I guess
I just don't get the sudden urge/willingness to trade Battie.  In fact
I'm borderline horrified at the notion of starting Baker over Battie --
if for no other reason its a bit disrespectful to Battie, who's busted
his ass the last few seasons.  Let Baker come off the bench and, if
needed and to preserve Battie's knees, play more minutes, but not start
ahead of him.  Despite Batman's recent health problems:

1.  He's the anchor to our defense.  A role that LaFrentz MAY grow
into, but only time will tell
2.  He -- along with Ewill -- give so much heart/hustle on the floor
that i think it will be good for folks like Banks, James and Baker to
be around.
3.  His contract is finally pretty reasonable.

Unless we're going to get a true PF/C or a star -- Rasheed, Eddy Curry,
PJ Brown, Kurt Thomas (maybe), etc. -- i'm really not interested in
moving Battie -- it just doesn't make sense.  I for one am totally not
willing to go into the year with just LaFrentz (9 days of training
camp) and Baker (one day at a time) as our only true PF/C's.  As much
as I'm pulling for Baker (both for his sake and the sake of the team),
I agree totally with Mark B. that I hope he does well so we can ship
him and the Dallas pick off to NY for Thomas/Ward (exp.
contract)/Othello Harrington.

I'd be much more interested in waiting till the trading deadline and
packaging Ewill and Mills for a PF.  As much as i love him -- he's my
2nd fav. celtic (behidn PP) -- he just doesn't do much that Jones,
Brown and McCarty can't also do.  What about:

EWill + Mills --> MEMPHIS:  Stromile Swift & Bo Outlaw

(the other) Mark