Re: LaFretz vs. Walker

On 10/21/03 5:06 PM, Michael Byrnes wrote:

> 1) LaFrentz is a MUCH better shotblocker than Walker.
>
> 2) LaFrentz is a much better shooter than Walker.

Fair points.  I still think, however, and you are all of course free to
disagree, that we did not significantly upgrade our team in any way, and now
have this roster spot under contract even longer, and not exactly on the
cheap.

Possible caveat:  LaFrentz may be a better player in a few ways, and may
even turn into the next McHale, but my gut says that he will likely be about
the same as Walker, and there's the risk that he becomes another big stiff.
The biggest gain I see is that management is free of the feeliong that they
have to have Walker in there.  Now, if Brandon Hunter becomes a solid
Barkley-type forward (Hey, I can dream, right?), he can start, rather than
sit a bunch behind Walker.  I think there'll be some imperative to start
LaFrentz, but it just won't be as strong.