Broussard Says Lopsided Trade For Dallas

It's the New York Times, what do you expect. They deal in creative
writing.... LOL.

Dallas Acquires Antoine Walker, Adding Even More Scoring Punch
By CHRIS BROUSSARD
NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/21/sports/basketball/21WALK.html?ex=1067313600&en=c2e887b5ad235dbf&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Published: October 21, 2003

rom Run-TMC in Golden State to the Dirk Nowitzki/Steve Nash/Michael Finley/ Nick Van Exel show in Dallas, Coach Don Nelson has consistently put together some of the most exciting teams in the National Basketball Association. But now Nelson has outdone even himself, securing a lineup of go-to guys that seems capable of scoring 120 points a game.

In a stunning five-player trade yesterday, Nelson's Dallas Mavericks acquired Antoine Walker from the Boston Celtics, adding a 20-point scorer  albeit one with a penchant for bad shots  to the most productive offense in basketball.

The trade appears to be severely lopsided in Dallas's favor  at least until the development of Jiri Welsch, a 6-foot-7 Czech. In exchange for Walker, a three-time All-Star forward, Boston received only the disappointing Raef LaFrentz, the oft-injured Chris Mills, the unproven Welsch and the Mavericks' first-round draft pick in 2004.

In addition to Walker, Dallas received Tony Delk, a tough-minded long-range shooter, who may fill some of the void left by the departure of Van Exel, who was traded to Golden State over the summer.

While the Mavericks will surely sport a more eye-popping roster when the regular season begins next week, it is not clear how much they have improved over last season, when they were the Western Conference playoff finalists and the league's highest-scoring team. They could start a lineup of big-time scorers  Nowitzki (25.1 points a game last season), Finley (19.3), Nash (17.7), Walker (20.1) and Antawn Jamison (22.2).

But what about the chemistry? And the defense? Two balls might not be enough, let alone one.

Walker could be the key. While he has shot the ball with little discretion throughout his seven-year career  he is a 41 percent shooter over his career  he has otherwise displayed good court sense and passing ability. He led the Celtics in assists the past three seasons. If he will do more orchestrating, he could become the Mavericks' glue in the halfcourt set.

"We have been looking for a point forward since I have been here, and I feel we have gotten one of the best in the league in Antoine Walker," said Nelson, whose renowned Run-TMC lineup of the early 1990's included Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin. "Walker is an all-around great player who will fit nicely into our system."

Even if Walker and Jamison, who joined the Mavericks in the Van Exel trade, fit in seamlessly, Dallas might not have enough to get past the Los Angeles Lakers, the San Antonio Spurs and the Sacramento Kings. Los Angeles and San Antonio are tougher and stronger inside than the Mavericks, so all the high-octane, finesse play in the world might not be enough to get Dallas to the finals.

Danny Fortson, a hard-nosed rebounder who was part of the Van Exel/Jamison trade, could add some toughness if healthy. But with Jamison, Walker, Eduardo Najera and Shawn Bradley on the roster, minutes might be hard to come by. And if the playing time of either Walker or Jamison drops, unhappiness could result.

The move made little sense for Boston. While the Celtics were not about to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown behind their shoot-'em-up duo of Walker and Paul Pierce, they were a sure playoff team with a puncher's chance in the right matchup. Now, they might not be that.

LaFrentz showed potential over three and a half seasons in Denver, but he was a disappointment in Dallas, averaging just 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds while playing much smaller than his 6-11 frame last season. The Celtics may think he will be better in the smaller, weaker East, but that is a gamble.

Walker's days in Boston seemed to be numbered after Danny Ainge was named the club's executive director of basketball operations last spring. While working as a television analyst, Ainge had said he did not like Walker's game.

Boston also did not want to pay Walker the lucrative contract extension he was seeking, with his contract due to expire after next season. But LaFrentz brings a financial burden himself, having five years and $50 million left on his contract.

Though he played sparingly as a rookie last season, averaging just 1.6 points and less than a rebound a game, Welsch, the 16th selection in the 2002 draft, was a major attraction for Boston.

"We would not have done this deal if Jiri was not included," Ainge said. "He's a very promising 6-7 combo guard. We are very high on him."