re:Walker trade

<<Pierce Likely To Pull A O'Neal<<

I wouldn't be too sure about that.
I received and e-mail from a mutual friend who talked with Paul by phone this
morning and, although it was only an e-mail, I got the distinct impression
that he was fairly open to anything that could make this team better.
Remember, Pierce and LaFrentz were not only teammates but good friends too.
That has to lessen the sting a bit.

As for whether I think Raef is soft?  I prefer to call him a finesse player.
( ;
There's a reason Roy Williams always put players like Pollard, who thrived on
the dirty work, next to him.
I've been asked many times over the years by Celtics fans how I thought
LaFrentz might fit into this team.  My answer has always been that as long as
Antoine was playing power forward, he wouldn't.
I've always seen Raef as a power forward, thought he was terribly misused as
a center,  and I think he'll give Baker a run for that position this year.
Baker has the edge in that he knows the system, is comfortable with the
players etc...but I don't get the feeling O'Brien is very comfortable with him and
Raef will do better getting up and down the floor in an uptempo system, and
rotating on defense.
Raef has talent, but he's been too content to sit back and play a role,
especially in Dallas.
My concern is that he's lost his edge.  I don't know.
Maybe getting the majority of his time at his true position, playing against
Eastern Conference PF's, with someone he already knows how to complement in
Pierce will wake him up a bit.
Although his on the ball defense isn't great, his team defense is very good.
That is where the vast majority of his blocks came in.
I think if he can pick up on Harter's defense in quick order, he could fit in
next to Battie very nicely.  Won't it be nice to have two shot blockers on
the court at the same time?

I can understand people wringing their hands at this trade.
It doesn't seem to do much for us financially.
It does seem as though Ainge was a bit desperate.
But I think Welsch will fit in very well in Delk's spot (bigger, better
defender, better passing skills) and even though we've lost too good scorers (who
were on some nights very good scorers), we just might have better team cohesion
if things work out the way I think they will.  But Mark P is right.  One of
our point guards is going to have to step up.

TAM