[no subject]

> --- You wrote:
> Count me as one who thinks (thought?) that Toine probably needed to go
> for us to make the finals -- but only for equal talent.  I don't think
> i'd put Lafrentz in that category.
> --- end of quote ---
>
> Two things here: first, you're assuming that you CAN get equal talent
> for
> Walker. I don't think it's  a tenable assumption at all. I was
> surprised we got
> this much. Two, Lafrentz may be a lesser talent - although he's
> certainly a
> better shotblocker and shooter than Walker. But sometimes a lesser
> talent who
> plays within his capabilities is preferrable to a guy like Walker, who
> not only
> is out control 90% of the time, but also severely distort the make-up
> of the
> team. I'm pretty sure Lafrentz won't say that it's impossible for him
> to play
> traditional PF and that "guys who are brought in have to fit into ME
> and Paul".
> I bet DA just loved it when he heard that.

I agree here Kestas -- i have gone on record (last season and this) as
saying you don't need a 20 ppg, 7 reb, 5 asst guy to get equal talent
for Walker.  I said in my next post -- after thinking about it a bit,
that I hope -- and think Ainge believes -- that LaFrentz will bee a bit
more efficient in what he does bring (reb, blocks, 15 ppg) than Antoine
and that it will open the game up for some of our other players.

> --- You wrote:
> IMHO if you're gonna move Walker you want to get either a monster
> rebounder (A. Davis, Brian Grant, etc.) or a all-star point guard (I
> almost would have rather do a Toine for Van Exel trade if Dallas was
> looking to deal).
> --- end of quote ---
>
> Lafrentz is fairly young, skilled, "long" (in the basketball sense
> :>), and can
> play C. Davis, Grant and Van Exel, though talented in their own ways,
> are not
> all that.Plus, we don't even know if these deals were available, and
> even if
> they were, I don't know if I'd prefer them to the current one. I guess
> it
> depends on the other details.

Well we have to assume Van Exel was available since they traded him for
almost an identical type player in Jamison.  We also have been led to
believe that Davis is on the block, though probably Toronto didn't want
Antoine.

Like you I think the thing i'm most worried about is LaFrentz's
reputation for being "soft".  I wasn't suggesting that a perfect deal
existed somewhere, rather that I would have prefered (realizing my
preferences have nothing to do with Ainge's ability to do his job) a
banger/bruiser type like Brian Grant or Antonio Davis.

I also agree that this trade was a signal to Obie and a reaction to
Walker's "Me and Paul" nonsense.  I don't mind if a star realizes he's
a star, but a superstar (Like Bird, KG, Jordan, and I hope Pierce)
figures out how to be a star while making those around him rise to
their best.  Coming out and saying "everyone else is here to make me
and Paul look good" isn't the way to do that IMO.

> At this point, I'm just happy that TwanObie's full Nelson on the
> team has been finally broken (I know, stupid pun).

I don't know i kinda liked it...

(the other) mark