Re: C's face point of contention

At 08:10 PM 10/14/03 -0400, Dan Forant wrote:

Yep, stop the music. Bird better than Jordan? Let's get the breathalyzer
out...must be happy hour...

I know Jordan may have more pure athletic ability, but I say Bird was--and is--a better basketball player. Bird helped his team in ways that Jordan never bothered to learn until the Celtics embarrassed the Bulls in the playoffs. The whole thing is summed up well in microcosm: Playoff game - Jordan scores 63 points--but the Celtics won the game. Five guys beats one every time.

I don't care if Walker is learning Jordan's moves
or not...just that he do it on another team.

My point is that IF Walker learns when to pass, he would become a much better--and more effective--player. The offense can "still run through him" but it just means knowing when he's being guarded far too closely to attempt to score and pass the ball out. Conversely, it ALSO means his teammates need to be ready for the pass and know when THEY should (or should not) shoot. Too often the instant reaction of a recipient of a Walker pass is to throw the ball back like the pin had been removed. That needs to change. And when his teammates DO shoot, it needs to be a reliable shot.

Now Snoop, I enjoy your posts and Celtic site but Walker a wave of the
future? I wonder how many High School coaches are instructing kids to watch
Walker in games or Jordan's old clips.

Why should they? ESPN and NBAtv run the damn things every day. Highlight reels that show flash without foundation, style absent the substance. Case in point, LeBron James. He's been castigated for his (admittedly) poor shooting in the preseason. But his JOB is to PASS the ball, not shoot it. His passing has been quite good--at least in the game I saw. but the highlight films all showed his dunk--never mind that it was occasioned by a good defensive play and LeBron was the last man back on defense.

How can a coach compete with "Be Like Mike"? When I was a kid, I practiced free throw shooting every day. I never dunked a ball in my life. I only learned a hook shot because I realized Kareem was creating an unstoppable shot, but I was never very good at it.

Today, everyone wants dunks and monster jams. They want an alley-oop pass over the hoop instead of a back door give and go from the weak side.

I'm quite serious when I say a good passer can be a way to change the look of the game. Remember Bird, Walton and Parish? Three of the slowest guys in NBA history and they ran the fast break off the pass. Cousy, for all his dribbling fame, worked his real magic with his passing. I believe Walker has that potential. I do not know if he will ever achieve it. Certainly not if he emulates everything Jordan does.

I grant Jordan's workout regimen is effective and he can certainly show some moves. But Walker already has moves and his conditioning seems to be on the right track at long last. He needs to learn how to help his team. Jordan, for all his considerable talent, cannot help him do that. If I could speak to Walker I would beg him to start learning passing from people like Bird, Walton, and Cousy. (Yes, I realize Bird is working with the Pacers nowdays, but I'm sure Antoine has a VCR or a DVD player. And I'm positive the C's would eagerly provide the appropriate viewing material.)

Again, I think it's a matter of conditioning the mind more than the body for Walker--and to a lesser extent, Pierce. If nothing else, a matter of pride. Pierce is making smarter passes than Walker, even though overall, Walker has greater talent passing. Let Antoine step up and move the ball. After all, if it's respect for himself and his team he wants, winning a championship will certainly make it happen.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle