Re: ESPN Insider on the Celtics

In a message dated 10/11/03 8:55:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Kestutis.Kveraga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> One thing I couldn't stand about last night's game is Obie's playing his
> boys Blount, McCarty and EWill for long stretches. All three are in horrible
> basketball form (3-16 shooting last night), especially Waltuh.

Both EWill and McCarty were playing the "3" spot with a Battie/Baker;
Blount/Baker; or Baker/Kendrick tandem at the "5" and "4" spots. My take isn't that
Obie wanted to focus on EWill and McCarty as much as he wanted to see how
effective the "5" and "4" tandems involving Baker playing each both spot might be.

The reason EWill and MCarty played long stretches IMO had more to do with
Jumaine Jones not being available than wanting to feature those two. JJ provides
the second unit with the athleticism that EWIll lacks and a better 3 point
shooting percentage over EWill as well as replacing the quickness that McCarty
has lost with his added bulk. There is no doubt in my mind that is the plan for
his (JJ's) role in the overall picture as the backup SF given the emergence of
Kedrick with his strong play to date. I don't see how the C's can keep him
out of the starting rotation.

Personally, I think EWill's days are numbered. Ainge has said he has another
move he would like to pull the trigger on and given JJ and McCarty signing and
holding long(er) term contracts than EWll makes him the obvious odd man out.

CeltsSteve