CBW review: Preseason Game 2, Celtics vs. Chicago Bulls, Oct 10, 2003

This review is also available on the CBW.

Well, at least it won't count in the final season standings.

Tonight's second preseason game for the Celtics ended up much like last
nights, though there were some improvements and some really nice moments.

Tonight, the Celtics made their way to Chicago, where the five people who
aren't Cubs fans turned out for the game.

To a large extent, it bacame apparent that this was a regionally televised
practice for the Celtics.  Much as I'd prefer to win, even in preseason, it
made sense.  There's not enough real practice time, and other teams have
already littered their rosters with pointless preseason injuries.  Pierce
and Walker are going to play easy minutes for at least the next few games.

This doesn't mean the C's tanked by any means, and the game was competetive
for 2 1/2 quarters.  But there were a number of problems.  First, the
offense off the bench.  There isn't any.  Second, this wavering between the
stifling man-to man/semi-zone defense of last year vs. the "try actually
helping on the boards" defense isn't helping anyone, least of all the guy
who gets stuck alone under the hoop fighting five guys for the
ball.  Third, the Celtics need to run.  Not just in the first quarter,
which they did well, or the second quarter which they did ok.  The whole
game.  Didn't happen tonight.  Fourth, free throws, free throws, free
throws.  In the name of Linus and Lucy can someone PLEASE explain WHY the
C's aren't converting free throws?  Even Pierce, normally a paragon at the
line, looked awful.  Fifth, turnovers.  Ack.  Hold on to the ball and pass
it properly, please!

Ok, now the GOOD stuff.

Vin Baker fans, you might get to do some serious "Nyahh, nyahh, nyahh"s
this season.  Vin started, was fast, tough, smart and--you're not gonna
believe this--at one point, the defense collapsed on Baker and triple
teamed him.  Yep, they tripled up the guy who last season could be counted
on to commit a foul long before getting a basket or rebound.  Speaking of
fouls, Vin's newfound speed has seriously cut down on his fouls.  He's no
longer lagging behind the play.  In fact, he was often in the teeth of
it.  He still blew a few passes, but he was not alone there.  Consider
this: Last year, Vinnie averaged 5.2 ppg over 52 games.  Over the first two
preseason games, he's averaging about 7 ppg.  He was scoring points long
before fouls, and didn't pick up the third foul until the fourth
quarter.  His shooting was a little suspect--most of his points came,
amazingly, at the line.  They credited him with 4 rebounds, 3 assists and a
steal, but I think they gypped him a little on the rebounds.

Kedrick Brown fans will be pleased to know that he's not only spotting up
jumpers that he was terrified to try last season (and hitting them), he
went in for a monster two-handed dunk that made the basket yell
"ouch!".  He's running nicely and getting his feel for the game back.

Kendrick Perkins is, as Mike Gorman said, "one huge human".  But he was
noticably a step slow.  He just isn't keeping up with the MUCH faster tempo
of NBA ball.  In fact, all the rooks said they were kind of blindsided by
the speed of the game.  But IF he can learn to keep up, he'll be a solid
(and I do mean SOLID) player.  Good rebounds negated by turnovers.

Waltah was forcing his offense, and while he had a couple of good assists
and such, mostly he was just not into the game.  To Obie's credit, he left
Waltah in, giving him extended time to try to get his game
together.  Overall, a few players tonight got more time than the last game,
like Waltah.

Marcus Banks is fast, but his lack of experience often negated his speed,
as what he thought were openings closed up quickly when he predictably
tried them.  He ran well, and passed well, but still needs to learn the
right time to pass or shoot.  Percentagewise, he was actually better than
Mike James!

Walker had a bad night offensively, and that was mostly due to his
occasional backsliding to a three point attempt.  When he went inside, he
did well.  He also needs to try passing the ball a little more often.  I
think he's trying too hard.  He also tends to slow down the offense when he
tries to dribble it up.

Pierce did well, working the flow of the offense, and passing out of
trouble a few times.   This is the first season Pierce has come into a
preseason without tons of summer basketball behind him, and it shows.  He's
rested, but rusty.

Mark Blount was there, but only just.

Rusty LaRue played 2 minutes and accomplished nothing.

Tony Battie wasn't any help offensively, but was helpful under the hoop on
defense.

I think some of the bench players might have done better if more shots had
gone in.  The C's scored 28 points in the first quarter, and it was near
the end of the third before they got another 28.  The Bulls had it going
offensively and that's what did the C's in.

When the C's ran, they moved the ball reasonably well--if raggedly--but the
shots didn't go, and some players tried forcing them.  They also missed
opportunities at the line.  But once again, the second half saw a marked
decline in running.  Even when they moved fast, they failed to pass the
ball up, instead dribbling it up.  Chicago can move pretty fast too, and
did so.

When the Bulls built up a double digit lead and Pierce and Walker remained
on the bench, it became obvious to everyone that Obie was going to get
practice time one way or another.  I think it's smart.  Let the vets get
used to the pace and put the rookies through their paces.  I noticed a few
times that the new guys played smoother on the break than they did with
Walker and Pierce.

I know it's only two games, preseason ones at that, but I liked Kedrick and
Baker.  IF they continue to improve, AND the running game is FULLY
instituted, the C's will be a monster team.  But there's going to be a LOT
of turnovers, no way to avoid it.

Next game is tomorrow night at 8:00pm against the Pacers.  Hello, Larry!

And that's the view from the doghouse.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle