Kendrick Perkins

I went back and watched parts of the Pistons game again last night to see if
I was overstating Kendrick's play. I came away even more impressed.

The kid showed the raw ability to do the following things: 1. Score in the
low post; 2. Block shots; 3. Pass; 4. Run the floor. That's a pretty darn
good start for a big man straight out of high school. I can only assume his
lack of athleticism tempered the enthusiasm of scouts, because I'm not sure
what other skills you could possibly want in a young big man. This is no
Dasagna Diop.

And I don't think he's entirely unathletic. The kid moved laterally pretty
well to make those blocks, and a couple of those post moves showed good
athleticism. He ran the floor well. His body doesn't look athletic at all.
He needs to lose some weight and tone up. But the kid isn't a stiff. Along
with some of the raw ingredients - soft hands, broad shoulders, big rear end
- he possesses a seemingly natural feel for the game and aggressiveness that
many times is lacking in young big guys.

In short, I couldn't be more excited about this kid's potential. And I think
a lot of people are underestimating just what kind of impact he can have on
this team in three years. A center who can do all the things I mentioned
above makes you a contender. It's that simple. There just aren't many
legitimate centers who can really play. I remember David Aldridge predicting
that in a few years, when Shaq is on his way out, the two best centers in
the league would be Yao and Kendrick. Now I see why he said that. Isn't
anyone else excited about that? I know Banks will play more this season, but
I think Kendrick is the guy who will get the Celts closer to No. 17.

Of course, it was just one preseason game. I know that. And a lot can
happen. Like I said, the kid needs to lose some weight and tone up. I always
worry about young guys who carry that much weight for two reasons: 1.
Still-developing bones can break under that much weight, and foot and leg
injuries could become chronic; and 2. If he's carrying extra weight at a
time in life when his metabolism should be at its highest, what kind of
problems will he have as he ages?

So, I know there could be problems. But the potential is phenomenal. Think
back to Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown, Dasagna Diop and other high
school big men. So many of them looked lost on the floor when they entered
the NBA. Maybe the best thing about Kendrick is he doesn't look lost. He
looks like an NBA player and he has a clue about what to do. Is he a
glamorous player? Nope. But he's the kind of player who could, three or four
years from now, transform this team from good to great.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on Kendrick? Can we talk about the
Celtics today since it's an off day for the Sox? I have a few hours before I
have to shift into all-Buckeyes all-the-time mode.

Mark