[no subject]

Run some plays for him, Jimbo.
And as always: Showcase! Showcase! Showcase!

Baker the big winner in Celtics' loss
He contributes in first exhibition
By Ron Indrisano, Globe Staff, 10/9/2003
UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- Vin Baker is back. The first exhibition game of the Celtics season, a 104-89 loss to the Detroit Pistons before 5,465 at Mohegan Sun Arena last night, meant little. But for Baker, it was big.

"I was nervous, but I was able to go out and make a couple of plays," said Baker, who had 8 points on 3-of-3 shooting, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocked shots, and a steal in 18 minutes. "I definitely wanted to be aggressive. I've got to do the best that I can. I just want to help. I can't control how many touches I get, but I can control my effort. If I do that, everything will fall into place."
Baker, who underwent treatment for alcoholism, had not played since February. When he came into the game with 4:03 remaining in the first quarter, he received a loud cheer. The 6-foot-11-inch center/forward is definitely slimmer, and he seemed to be moving better on the court than he did last season.
"This is my 11th year and you have to put this game in perspective," said Baker, who suffered a minor heel bruise last night but said he'd be fine. "But I felt my lift was very good and my quickness seemed better. If I wasn't so nervous I could have gone out there and made more plays. It's been a long time since I've felt that good on the floor. I kind of surprised myself I was moving so fast. I'll have to make a lot of adjustments to deal with my new body and stay in shape. I noticed the difference. It was a great feeling for me.
"I'm very appreciative of the greeting I got, especially here in Connecticut [Baker is a graduate of the University of Hartford]. I want to give 110 percent, but I don't have any individual goals as long as we do well as a team. I fought nerves before the game but I overcame that with some aggressiveness out on the court."
Coach Jim O'Brien, who praised the play of forward Kedrick Brown (18 points and 5 rebounds in 27 minutes), didn't exactly shower Baker with praise. But he appreciated his effort.
"I didn't think that Vin played as well as I thought he would," said O'Brien. "We didn't have any set plays for him. I think he'll have a very strong year. I think you'll see a complete turnaround from him. I like the work ethic on this club, and I think we'll be a real good team." . . .

Paul Pierce (13 points in 24 minutes) played well, and Antoine Walker chipped in with 10 points and six rebounds in 22 minutes, but O'Brien said Brown was the key man.
"I liked what I saw out there," he said. "I liked Kedrick Brown. He has great intensity and timing. He has soft hands, and he's been the best rebounder in training camp. I didn't prepare the team to face pressure, and that's what we got from Detroit." . . .

It was merely the first exhibition game, but Pistons coach Larry Brown was in midseason form. He took two quick technicals for arguing with the officials after some rough play under the Detroit basket and was tossed with 7:02 to go in the second quarter.
Brown was booed as loudly when he left as Baker was cheered when he entered. Assistant coach John Kuester, who used to coach at Boston University, took over. Detroit ran a 51-47 halftime lead out to 84-69 after three quarters and the outcome was no longer in doubt. The Pistons were led by Richard Hamilton, who had 18 points, and Ben Wallace (17). . . .

Tony Battie missed the game while nursing a sore right knee, but O'Brien indicated he could have played if it had been a regular-season game. Tony Delk (strained groin) and Jumaine Jones (strained hamstring) also sat out.