is boorish.

Frenzied fans lose control: Cars kicked, overturned on streets of Fenway

by Jennifer Rosinski
Tuesday, October 7, 2003

Euphoria turned destructive around the streets of Fenway Park last night as hundreds of Red Sox fans - frenzied over the team's nail-biting 4-3 win over Oakland to reach the American League Championship Series against the Yankees - stopped traffic, jumping on parked cars, moving taxis and overturning at least one car.
Outside the Cask 'n' Flagon, Robin Milch and another woman tried in vain to haul much larger men off what used to be a fairly new Mitsubishi Lancer. She called police as fans romped the car's roof in, kicked in windows and tore off its mirrors.
``This is ridiculous. I don't see why you have to destroy property to have fun,'' Milch said as a horde of other fans jumped on passing cabs, rocking the vehicles back and forth to the dismay of the drivers. ``They're terrorizing these cab drivers for no reason. It just doesn't make sense.''
Around the corner on Lansdowne Street, the crowd overturned a Volkswagen. Beer bottles rained down from rooftops, where some rowdy fans had managed to clamber up. Others celebrated from perches on billboards around Fenway.
``It's the curse of the Bambino,'' said one cop, donning his riot gear on Brookline Avenue. ``The fun is over.''
A group of college-aged men chased down a passing firetruck, leaping onto it for a celebratory ride.
``I'm from Washington, D.C., and they don't get excited like this over playoff games,'' said Joe Drake, in town visiting a college buddy and caught in the chaos. ``I guess we don't have a lot of natives that have been waiting their whole lives for this, but this is beyond me.''
Earlier, as the clutch ninth inning played out on the TVs in Boston Billiards, fans booed each ball thrown by Scott Williamson. Then they chanted for his reliever, Derek Lowe, whose game-winning strikeout with the bases loaded sent the screaming crowd clambering onto tables.
But Dave Robinson of South Boston, overcome with emotion, shot outside quickly with two buddies for a smoke.
``I need a cigarette bad,'' Robinson said. ``It was getting tense in there.''