Celtics' Jones is keeping up

New Celtic is in running for spot
By Tony Chamberlain, Globe Staff, 10/6/2003

WALTHAM -- It was loud. It was spirited, with plenty of good-natured trash
talk from Antoine Walker, et al. Above all, it was reminiscent of those
fast-break Celtics teams of old. And when the green-on-white scrimmage on the
fifth day of Celtics training camp was over yesterday morning, coach Jim
O'Brien liked what he saw. Sort of.

"I thought [for] five practices in, with the veterans, they're giving us
everything we can get," said O'Brien. "We're making strides . . . [but a] lot
of mistakes."

One new addition of particular interest is Jumaine Jones, who came to the
Celtics this summer in a sign-and-trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers for point
guard J.R. Bremer, center Bruno Sundov, and a conditional second-round draft
choice.

Jones, a 6-foot-8-inch, 218-pounder starting his fifth NBA season, acquired to
provide some depth in the frontcourt, hit long shots from the corners
yesterday, drove inside, and jammed up the green-shirted veterans with some
dogged defensive play.

"Jumaine can really stroke the basketball," said O'Brien. "He picks things up
quickly. And we believe he has the defensive toughness to be a really fine
option opposite Paul Pierce. He runs the court very, very quickly and his
focus has been really solid. He's a great addition to our team."

Jones also brings some experience, having broken into the league with the
Philadelphia 76ers, where his contributions off the bench and as a starter
helped boost Philly to the Finals in 2001.

During his last two seasons with the Cavaliers, Jones came off the bench most
of the time. Last year, he started 12 games, averaging 9.8 points and 5.1
rebounds in 27.6 minutes.

Jones was the leading scorer among the Cavaliers' bench players last season,
setting career highs in minutes, field goals attempted and made, 3-pointers
attempted and made, and free throws.

"He's a complete and excellent athlete," said executive director of basketball
operations Danny Ainge of his July 29 acquisition. "He has tremendous upside
and I look forward to seeing him reach his full potential in a Celtic
uniform."

One of three candidates for the role of starting small forward opposite
Pierce, Jones says it's too early to think about how O'Brien will decide to
use him.

"Right now I'm just trying to get my conditioning down," said Jones, who after
his honeymoon trip to France this summer came into camp in need of some
conditioning. After four days of double sessions and yesterday's scrimmage,
Jones says he's getting over the hump.

"I'm trying to get the defensive principles down and learn all I can to get
better. I'm working hard to learn the new system."

Jones said the fact that O'Brien has been running full-court workouts to work
on the fast break suits him fine.

"I definitely like that style of play," said Jones. "I really like to get out
on the break. Paul will get most of the touches, so it's always good for me to
get out on the fast break and get what I can get."

Jones said the spirit he finds on the team is encouraging.

"To be surrounded by the guys I'm surrounded by really helps me," he said. "I
came in here struggling with the conditioning a little bit, and I was
surprised how many guys pick you up and put their trust in you. They know I'm
a hard worker and they've picked me up from the first day."

After yesterday's session, Pierce said he found Jones's play impressive.

"He can really do a lot of things. I was really surprised," Pierce said. "I
didn't know he could shoot the ball as good as he does. He can knock down
shots. He plays hard and runs the court well. He's going to be a really good
addition for a guy who plays small forward. That spot's going to be wide open
with him coming in. He'll play a lot of minutes." . . .

On the injury front, center Tony Battie is nursing his right knee, which
required surgery over the summer.

Battie, who underwent partial removal of the meniscus, sat out practice
yesterday when the knee became aggravated during practice earlier in the
week.

According to O'Brien, Battie was examined by the team's medical staff last
night and will undergo an MRI today.

) Copyright 2003 Globe
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of HMD_big_c.gif]