/celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/celtics.bg?articleid=14</A>

Walker's ready to get team running

By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Sunday, October 5, 2003

Antoine Walker said on media day he didn't think things would be a whole lot
different with the Celtics' style this season. But after three practices he's
changed his outlook.

     ``It's tough because we're all trying to grasp kind of a different
offense with less plays and just more up and down basketball,'' the co-captain
said
yesterday. ``So everybody's trying to fit in.

     ``We're running a lot more, trying to create an up-tempo style. It's
good to have everybody healthy and everybody practicing and everybody giving
110
percent, so it's a good start.

     ``It's going to be a while before it becomes crisp and before it starts
to look good, but hopefully we can become a team that get 15 points off the
break. And that's something we haven't done a lot of, so we want to create
some
easy opportunity baskets. We're still going to be a team that goes to me and
Paul (Pierce) in the halfcourt set, but we're trying to get out of just
calling
set plays and trying to get guys to create on their own.''

     Rather than curtail the opportunities for himself and Pierce, Walker
sees an upside to the up-tempo game.

     ``We actually have a lot more freedom now to create for ourselves,
hopefully to space the floor out and not have to do it from a halfcourt set,''
he
said. ``Hopefully it can work out that way.

     ``I'm not necessarily concerned with it. I can play in any system. I'm
going to be all right.''

     Let the dogs out

     No matter how well the Celts do at practice, they're still going to get
barked at.

     That's just the way it works, according to the coach.

     ``If something good happens offensively, it means there's been a
defensive breakdown,'' Jim O'Brien said. ``So you're always on one hand
praising one
part of the scheme and coaching and constructively criticizing the other part
of the scheme. You don't have great offense and great defense really happen
together. Something went wrong.

     ``Coaching is pointing out what went right and pointing out what went
wrong.''

     Sweet 16 in camp

     The Celtics' roster stands now at 16, with guards Rusty LaRue and Mateen
Cleaves joining the 14 players under contract.

     LaRue, however, has been limited by a strained left quad. . . .

     Happy birthday (yesterday) to Grant Gray, security man and practice
facility manager. The Celtics say he turned 73, but others who recall the
former
policeman still knows how to use a firearm say he looks much younger. . . .

     Walker on the early going in camp: ``The best impression is just to see
Vin (Baker) back out here playing with us and getting up and down and feeling
good and being happy, as well.'' . . .

     The sprained right knee that dogged Walker last season appears to be in
fine shape.

     ``Feels like 100 percent,'' he said. ``I did all the necessary
procedures to get myself stronger throughout the summer and I feel great now.
I left
the season last year hurt and had to get myself back to 100 percent, and I did
that.

 ``Hopefully I can stay healthy this whole season and have a great season.''

CeltsSteve