Grizzlies re-sign Miller to six-year extension

Grizzlies sign G-F Miller to six-year extension

SportsTicker

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (Ticker) - Memphis Grizzlies marksman Mike Miller, who was
acquired in last season's trade deadline deal with the <A HREF="ao  l://1722:Orlando Magic">Orlando Magic</A>, on
Saturday agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension.

Financial terms were not disclosed.  Miller was entering the final year of a
four-year, $10.86 million deal.

Acquired with forward Ryan Humphrey for Drew Gooden and Gordan Giricek,
Miller averaged 12.8 points and 3.4 rebounds in 16 games with Memphis.  He missed
three games in March due to back spasms and the final five contests of the
season with a back sprain.

"I am really excited about being a part of the Grizzlies and I want to thank
(owner) Mr. (Michael E.) Heisley, (president) Jerry West and the entire
organization for this great opportunity," Miller said.  "This team is serious about
winning and I want to be a part of big things that's going to happen in
Memphis."

The 6-8 swingman has averaged 14.0 points and 4.5 rebounds in 210 career
games.  After being selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2000 draft, the
23-year-old averaged 11.9 points and 4.0 rebounds in 82 games and was named
Rookie of the Year.  He has shot nearly 39 percent (373-for-967) from the 3-point
arc.

"Of course we are thrilled to reach an agreement with Mike," West said.  "He
has the potetntial to be an All-Star-caliber player under the leadership of
Hubie Brown.  We expect him to take the next steps of what should be a long and
very successful NBA career and help us develop a high-quality team for
Grizzlies fans to enjoy for years to come."

Memphis, which went 28-54 last season, has never made the playoffs.

Last week, the Grizzlies added some size as they acquired forward Bo Outlaw
and center Jake Tsakalidis from the <A HREF="aol://1722:Phoenix Suns">Phoenix Suns</A> for guard Brevin Knight,
forward Robert Archibald and center Cezary Trybanski.

10-04-03 14:37 ET

CeltsSteve