**************

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/bi/gold_print.cgi

An infusion of talent raises expectations for the Celts

01:00 AM EDT on Friday, October 3, 2003

BY CAROLYN THORNTON
Journal Sports Writer

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Granted, they have yet to face a single opponent. In fact, yesterday was the first day that the entire team had even practiced together. But, based on potential, the Boston Celtics feel they have plenty of reasons to be optimistic as they embark on a new season.

Last year's nucleus is back, led by All-Stars Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker.

They will be joined by three promising rookies in Marcus Banks, Kendrick Perkins and Brandon Hunter.

Boston also made a few other solid offseason acquisitions in guard Mike James (a free agent who spent his first three seasons with Miami), forward Jumaine Jones (a fifth-year pro who landed here in a trade with Cleveland) and guard Mateen Cleaves (a free agent by way of Sacramento).

"I would say (my level of optimisim) is a lot higher than it has been in the past because when I look down our roster from 1 to 14, I see a number of guys who can really compete for spots," Pierce said yesterday during the team's Media Day at the Sports Authority Training Center. "I mean, outside of me and Antoine, I see three open spots -- at the point guard, the small forward and the center. Guys have really improved their game over the summer, and from 1 to 14, there's no guarantee. Last year when you looked, you had a solid eight, nine guys that you said were going to play. And now we have from 1 to 14, guys who are going to be competing for minutes, and that's what's going to make us a better team."

Yesterday marked the reappearance of Vin Baker, who faced the media for the first time since leaving the team in February to address his alcoholism.

Looking more like he did during his days at the University of Hartford, Baker says he has dropped close to 20 pounds and is a much trimmer 240.

He said he is eager to put his past behind him, and hopes that his preparation will allow him "to ultimately do what I was traded here to do, and that's make this team a better basketball team."

"I definitely feel like I have a new lease on life in general, and obviously getting a second chance at my career," he said. "This organization has been wonderful; they've been great through this whole situation, and I'm appreciative of this organization, my teammates and the staff. . . . I think I've prepared myself physically and emotionally for that second chance, and I'm ready to go. My teammates didn't get the best Vin Baker last year, and I want to give them the opportunity to see the best of me."

As players milled around the gym waiting to pose for all sorts of promotional photos, it was apparent that many of them have been putting in time at the gym since the 2002-03 season came to a close with a sweep by the New Jersey Nets in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Although he refused to admit that he had changed his offseason conditioning routine and insisted that he feels "like I felt the last six years coming in -- I feel fine," Walker is sporting an unmistakably leaner physique.

Tony Delk has returned with a little more bulk, saying he hopes the added muscle will help improve his durability this season.

Walter McCarty has obviously been spending more time in the weight room. The utility man, back with a multi-year extension after some tense contract negotiations over the summer, has added a little more meat to his slender frame, as well.

James and Banks were brimming with enthusiasm. With those two players and Delk expected to battle it out at point guard, they both expressed an eagerness to prove that they deserve the starting nod at a position that was at times a source of weakness for Boston last season.

As the Celtics begin to prepare for their first preseason game against Detroit at the Mohegan Sun on Wednesday night, coach Jim O'Brien said the team will once again rely heavily on its half-court defense, but hopes to adopt a more up-tempo style of offense.

He also plans to address some of last year's deficiencies, including the team's low field-goal percentage, low numbers in the assist column and poor performance from the three-point line. O'Brien would like to see improvement on the offensive glass, as well.

"I think, for the most part, a lot of offense is going to flow through me and Antoine, but I think we're going to try to run a little bit more this year," said Pierce, Boston's leading scorer and rebounder last season. "We have a lot more depth this year. We have better athletes, guys who can really get up and down the court. We have a couple of point guards who can really set a tempo for us to where we can create opportunities on the fast break, help me get easier buckets, help make things easier on me and Antoine. So I'm excited about the new group of guys we've got here that are here to complement me and Antoine."
Online at: http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/projo_20031003_03celts.d0e13.html