Bulpett on the Celtics

C's have changed slightly, but Walker:  "Walker believes things will be more similar to last season than people expect"  all you need to know. Ainge has to ditch this obstructionist!

C's shake off past: Keep focus on new season
By Steve Bulpett
Friday, October 3, 2003
The Celtics gathered yesterday for the first time to prepare for their new season. There was talk of new players and new strategies and new commitments.

But playing in the background of their comments was a song from five months ago - namely, the tune New Jersey played on them in the postseason. While positive reinforcement may be the tool of choice, the negative vibe from the 4-0 sweep at the hands (and quick feet) of the Nets is what drove the Celts over the summer. The Celts' captains concurred.

``Any time you get swept in a series, it leaves you with a bad taste,'' said Antoine Walker [news] as he greeted a modest media day crowd. ``We know no team is four games better than us where they're going to sweep us, so obviously we've got some redemption to do. We're a much better team than getting swept in the second round.''

Paul Pierce [news], too, was pushed by the rude rhapsody that sent him to the elimination heap.

``No team wants to lose to the same team in the playoffs twice, and especially without winning a game and getting swept,'' he said, in reference to the Nets' series win over the C's in the 2002 conference finals. ``I was really embarrassed, so there's been a lot on my mind - a lot for this team to prove.

``There's not really a lot of high expectations for us, but we definitely feel like we're one of the teams to beat in the East. We feel like New Jersey is definitely the best team right now, and that's just a hump you've got to get over.''

To help with that climb, new director of basketball operations Danny Ainge added five new players who should alter the rotation significantly. And things should be different even for those who return.

``Changes definitely have to be made,'' said Pierce, ``because if you're not a championship team and you haven't gotten to the Finals, then you look and see what's the problem. When you lose four games to nothing in the playoffs, go out in the second round, there's definitely changes that have to be made.

``We're one of the worst offenses percentage-wise in the league, so with the personnel and the new style of play, I think those are the necessary changes that really had to be made this summer in order for this team to improve.''

While Walker believes things will be more similar to last season than people expect, Pierce thinks the three rookies and yet-to-blossom Kedrick Brown [news] could be the keys to the campaign.

``We've got a lot of guys that we're going to need this year and a lot of them are young players,'' he said. ``We're going to ask them to really step up earlier than they're going to be expected to. And I think for the most part, just playing with the guys in the summer and checking them out, they're a confident group of players.''

If there's one difference that's clear even before the Celts seek their identity as a new group, it may be in the roster's depth. Put another way, Ruben Wolkowyski doesn't play here anymore.

``When I look down our roster from 1-14, I see a number of guys who can really compete for spots,'' Pierce said. ``I mean, outside of me and Antoine I see three open spots at the point guard, the small forward and the center. From 1-14 there's no guarantees because practice is going to be a lot more competitive.

``I think last year when you looked you had a solid 8-9 guys that you said were going to play. And now we have from 1-14 guys who are going to be competing for minutes. That's what's going to make us a better team.''

As they compete against better teams.

``The East is wide open, even with a lot of trades,'' said Walker. ``I think a lot of teams improved. Obviously New Jersey looks very good on paper, but they've got to put it together. But we also look very good. I think everybody on our team has improved over the summer from what I've heard, and hopefully we can put it together.''