to how far away he is.....

Blount shines in camp
By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Thursday, October 2, 2003
Third-year center Mark Blount has been making a strong impression - at the Celtics' early training camp for younger players.

``If there's one person whose name is on the lips of every coach at every meeting, it's Mark Blount,'' coach Jim O'Brien said two days into double sessions. ``He's in phenomenal condition. His work ethic was off the charts this summer. He never tires. He has worked on his low post game, his footwork, and his ability to shoot the ball left-handed. I think he's been outstanding.''

O'Brien also had good words for rookie Marcus Banks [news]: ``I thought Marcus had a great practice (yesterday) from (his) understanding of getting to the outlet area quicker (and) creating for his teammates.''

And for free agent point guard Mike James [news]: ``I've been very happy with Mike James ever since we got him,'' O'Brien said. ``He's a really, really smart kid who knows how to play basketball.''

Kedrick Brown [news] also had a bouquet tossed his way. ``I think Kedrick is advanced defensively over everybody here,'' said the coach.

Noting how the quicker tempo the Celts are employing suits Brown, O'Brien added, ``As a result, it doesn't surprise me how good he has looked.''

Quicker on foot?

You think free agent guard Rusty LaRue is trying to suck up to the head of basketball operations by wearing the same type of retro Reebok sneakers that Danny Ainge wore in his Celtic days?

Ainge doesn't. ``No, that's smart I think,'' he said. ``And Rusty can really shoot the basketball. He can wear anything he wants as long as he keeps making shots. Hey, newer doesn't necessarily mean better.''

Co-owner Wyc Grousbeck has been joking he's going to get Ainge's No. 44 retired if he directs the Celts to another championship, and the next rookie, Chuck Eidson, is wearing the jersey.

Cracked noted gunner Ainge, ``I'm going to take away that No. 44 if he passes up another shot.''

The Celts could be eliminating some in camp as early as tomorrow.

Toughing it out

O'Brien is looking for more hitting in practice this season, and he believes the harder workouts will translate to tougher defense and rebounding in games.

``Having Mark (Blount) this year, having Brandon (Hunter) this year, having Vin (Baker) come back and be healthy, having Jumaine Jones, a physical Marcus Banks - they're so important to add to our nucleus because it'll make everybody better because practices will be more physical. And,'' he added, ``our practices will reflect an NBA game more than they did in last year's training camp.''