Blount likes fit of defensive role

By Andy Nesbitt, Globe Staff, 11/29/2003

If you took a quick look at Mark Blount's bandaged right index finger before
last night's game with Milwaukee and then watched as he used his thumb and
middle finger to tear open an energy bar, you would wonder how he's been able
to go out on the floor since suffering a deep cut on his shooting hand that
took five stitches to repair.

Even though Blount, who started last night for the ninth time this season,
opened the five stitches by accident at yesterday morning's shoot-around and
had to have a little protection added to the bandage that encompasses the tip
of the finger, he has been able to shake off any excuses and remain in the
lineup.

"I don't even think about," he said of the injury he suffered in practice last
weekend. "I just play."

After all, Blount, who was selected by Seattle late in the second round of the
1997 draft but bounced around before seeing his first real NBA action with the
Celtics in 2000-01, is finally in a position where he doesn't have to always
look over his shoulder.

"I came up through the minor leagues and worked my way into the NBA," said
Blount, who has been a part of four different organizations -- Seattle, LA
Clippers, Boston, and Denver -- before being traded back to the Celtics late
last season. "I just have to keep working hard and keep focusing on the things
that keep me out on the floor and be productive out there when I get out on
the floor."

The biggest reason Blount, who started 31 of the 81 games he appeared in last
season, has seen his playing time increase this year has been his ability to
make a difference on the defensive end. He understands the offense isn't going
to go through him, so the 7-footer does what he can when the Celtics don't
have the ball.

"I have my own job to do defensively," he said. Blount entered last night's
game with a team-high 21 blocks. He's averaging 5.6 points through 14 games
and has shown the ability to knock down the open shot when he gets the chance.
"I'm not going to get most of the touches so I have to be there when I can."

As the anchor of the defense, Blount believes the team is starting to come
together on that end, even as coach Jim O'Brien continues his search for a
consistent rotation.

But, he says, it's going to take a little more time before the Celtics are
back to playing the style of defense O'Brien would like.

"We'll see more in a couple of games," Blount said. "We have to get everybody
on the same page defensively, doing the little things that we've done to get
us in the playoffs the last couple of years. That has to be our mainstay, we
can't think of anything else."

As Blount spoke, his attention was turned toward the pair of televisions in
the locker room that had highlights of the Bucks' offensive schemes from their
game earlier this week against Philadelphia.

None of his attention, however, was on the bandaged finger he's been playing
with for the last three games.

"I'm just going to go block shots and try to go out there and deflect passes,"
he said. "It's [the finger] going to be what's it's going to be."

And while he enjoys being a member of the starting five, he also understands
that everything can change before you know it.

"Nobody knows tomorrow," he said. "I can't tell you tomorrow but I can eat
what's on my plate today."

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx