Celtics spread wealth

Bucks are stopped as Pierce cashes in
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 11/29/2003

Raef LaFrentz wondered if Paul Pierce realized just how close he was to
recording a triple-double. Suspicions were raised with 1 minute 9 seconds
remaining when Pierce shied away from an open shot, let the offense reset and
passed to Jiri Welsch for a 3-pointer that essentially sealed the Celtics'
106-96 victory over the Bucks. The assist guaranteed Pierce the third
triple-double of his career with 26 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists.

"I was asking Paul if he knew," said LaFrentz. "How many times have you seen
Paul Pierce wide open, not a defender within 10 feet, at the end of the game
and he pulls out and sets the offense and finds Jiri for the 10th assist? He
knew he was close, but he swears up and down that he didn't know he had nine
[assists] at the time. But it was a great performance."

Given the way the game played out, it seems only appropriate that Pierce's
final act before a sold-out FleetCenter was an assist. Actually, Pierce
accounted for the Celtics' final three assists, all on baskets that kept the
Bucks at bay down the stretch. After Boston led by as many as 19 points in the
third quarter, Milwaukee closed to within 7 late in the fourth, but would come
no closer.

Although the Celtics' defense held the Bucks to 42 percent shooting from the
floor, it was a night to appreciate the home team's offense. Boston shot 53
percent, recording season highs with 41 field goals and 30 assists. It was
also the first time the Celtics surpassed the 100-point mark this season,
including 18 on the fast break. Almost everyone who earned playing time got
into the passing act. In addition to Pierce, Eric Williams and Mike James
posted five assists apiece. Rookie point guard Marcus Banks was not far behind
with four. For the Celtics, it was a sign their passing game is finally coming
together.

"We're getting more and more comfortable with one another," said James, who
also had 9 points. "It's easy to get assists when guys are knocking down the
open shot. Tonight, [coach Jim O'Brien] was just letting us run quick and just
letting us decide what type of offensive set we wanted to get into. I thought
that was real good for us at times because we were just able to play off one
another."

With Pierce setting the tone and standard for ball movement in the first half,
Boston entered the break ahead, 58-45, shooting 58 percent. The Celtics
established a double-digit advantage late in the second as both Pierce and
James made concerted efforts to get others involved. James kicked the ball out
to LaFrentz in the right corner for a 3-pointer that put the Celtics ahead,
56-41, with 1:34 to go in the quarter, their largest lead of the half.

It was the first time LaFrentz really made his presence felt in his return
from a two-week stint on the injured list, but it would not be his last.
LaFrentz stretched out the defense and contributed to a big night for the
Boston bench by scoring 14 points on 50 percent shooting, including 3 for 6
from 3-point range. Of the four Celtics players in double figures, Williams
(13 points, 7 rebounds), Banks (11 points) and LaFrentz came off the bench.

"I've learned in my time in the league that it really doesn't matter when
you're on the floor," said LaFrentz. "Play like a starter, play hard, however
many minutes you get. I think [O'Brien] is still trying to figure out where
guys are going to be and what roles they're going to play."

With LaFrentz back in the lineup, Boston finally got an idea of what the team
will look like with all the rotation players available. Although LaFrentz
still needs to get back in top game shape and other players like Mark Blount
(cut right index finger), Tony Battie (sore right knee), and Welsch (sprained
left thumb) are banged up, the Celtics showed signs of becoming a potent
offensive team.

After the Bucks knocked the Celtics' lead below double digits late in the
fourth, Pierce found LaFrentz for a 3-pointer with 3:52 to go, pushing
Boston's lead to 99-88. Next, Pierce hit Williams for a reverse layup as the
Celtics maintained a comfortable cushion, 101-92, with less than two minutes
to play. Finally, Pierce found Welsch for a clutch 3-pointer and key assist.

"Everybody knows that we've got to do it for four quarters," said Pierce.
"That's what we've stressed. We're just trying to get some more consistency
and get it done. We had our little lapses out there in the fourth quarter. We
had a chance to put them away, and that's what we need to learn to do next. We
need to learn to put teams away when we've got them on their back and not give
them any confidence to get back into the game."

The Celtics will have a second chance to put away the Bucks when the teams
meet again tonight in Milwaukee at the Bradley Center.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx