Consistently inconsistent

Reeling Celtics grasp for answers
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 11/23/2003

The reasons for the Celtics' three-game losing streak are painfully obvious.
Glances at the box scores from the games against New York, New Orleans, and
Philadelphia tell a story of poor rebounding and offensive execution. A
slightly closer examination reveals a team prone to second-half collapses,
capable of playing the way Jim O'Brien wants for only quarters at a time. In
road losses to the Knicks and 76ers, the Celtics shot less than 30 percent in
the second half.

The cure for what ails the Celtics remains harder to grasp. After Boston lost
to Philadelphia Friday night, neither O'Brien nor the players had any
explanation for why they squandered a 12-point first-half lead, why they
didn't continue doing in the third and fourth quarters what had been
successful. There were similar reactions after losses to New Orleans and New
York. The Celtics were unsure why they failed abysmally on the glass against
the Hornets. They were unsure why they allowed the Knicks back into the game
in the third quarter.

"We've got to be a more consistent team for 48 minutes of the game," said Paul
Pierce. "Hopefully, after two heartbreaking losses on the road to teams we
felt that we should have beat, we'll learn from it. I think everything is
mental. Physically, we had the bodies out there. Guys just have to get the job
done. It's about going out there after halftime and being mentally prepared
after halftime. There's no moral victories in winning the first half.
Hopefully, we can play better at home and understand what's losing these close
ballgames."

Explanations are hard to come by for the Celtics because they are plagued by
inconsistency. Turnovers, trouble rebounding, second-half collapses are merely
the symptoms. The Celtics know what to do. Apparently, they just need a lot of
reminders to do what's right on a regular basis.

"We've got to continue to do the same things that got us the lead," said Mike
James. "I think we get away from our game plan sometimes, which is moving the
ball and getting easy shots and rebounding. The first and second quarter is
really like a trot, but the second half is like a dogfight. We have to be
prepared for that fight.

"It's not really a mystery. All we can do is go back into the practice
facility and try to get this thing consistent. Consistency is the big thing.
That's our thing. It's about having faith in one another. It's just growing
up. We've got to grow up as a team. It's too early to start pointing fingers
at each other. We've got to believe in one another and believe that this team
can do what we set our minds to."

O'Brien is still trying to figure out how best to handle his rotation of
players. For example, Walter McCarty has seen a significant increase in his
minutes over the last two games. Boston is still building chemistry. Pierce is
still learning when and how to assert himself as a scorer with opponents
continuing to double-team him. The Celtics know that a high-scoring
performance by Pierce doesn't necessarily translate to victory. In fact,
Pierce's top three offensive games this season in terms of points have all
come in losses.

Another indication that O'Brien is still working hard to pull the Celtics
together would be the length of practices. Workouts have lasted longer than
expected. Players know it's because they have a long way to go and lots of
room for improvement. And O'Brien still wants to get good looks at different
combinations of players, as well as drill offense and defense.

But O'Brien gave the Celtics yesterday off before they prepare for tomorrow's
second meeting this season with the Knicks. They have time away from the
practice facility to either clear their heads or to rethink what happened in
their last three losses. More focused players could help, since Pierce sees
the Celtics' problems as mental, not physical. Mark Blount believes the
Celtics' problems begin and end on defense.

"Very often we're up because of our defense and I believe in the second half
we're not talking as much and not helping each other out," said Blount. "Guys
are not responding to guys calling out schemes and getting in the right
position for that. I don't have an answer for you. Once I do, I'll give it to
you. We're all professionals and we want to win, but we can't have breakdowns.
We need to get everybody on the same page."

) Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of from_provider_globe.gif]