CBW review: 2003-4season gm 8: Celtics vs. Chicago Bulls Nov 12, 2003

2003-04 season game 8: Celtics vs. Chicago Bulls, Wednesday, Nov 12,
2003  7:00pm

Well, home came the Heroes, celebrating last night's win over the Indiana
Pacers.  After last night, things looked a whole lot easier.  The C's were
at home, playing against a Chicago Bulls team that was more likely to
charge each other then the other team.  Fans could relax with the dulcet
tones of Tommy Heinsohn, moderated by Mike Gorman.  Vin Baker was eligible
to wear spandex and move to Metropolis.

But for some reason I simply do NOT understand, the Good Guys get run over
by the Bulls.  Last year, the Bulls had exactly three road wins--one of
which was over the Celtics, on their home opener.

So I was understandably a bit nervous.  After all, it was the second night
of back to back away/home games--and may whoever set up the C's schedule be
made to spend a few days on standby at Logan Airport on a winter's night
when the heat goes out.  The C's were likely to be tired, and possibly
looking a bit ahead to Friday.  After all, they might have thought, it's
Chicago, not Los Angeles.  Too true.  But this season had proven to be
remarkably like last season in one annoying respect--Boston would go out
and win games they weren't expected to be competitive in, then lose the
ones that should have been marked in the "W" column as soon as they got the
schedule.

So there were a few questions to be answered.  Would the C's have learned
from their last two come-from-behind games and come out running
hard?  Would they mount the kind of defense that would destroy the Bulls'
near total lack of offensive punch?  And, would they do this consistently
for the entire game?

Well, no, they wouldn't.  This was a game much like their other losses,
where the C's, despite not playing as well as they SHOULD play and CAN
play, had opportunities to win.  We'll get to the details, but it's going
to be aggravating.  We'll start with the game-long problems that will
probably come up several times here.

The Celtics Did Not Run:  NO fast break points.  No beating the other team
downcourt before their defense could set up.  No zip in their white sneaks.

The Celtics Did Not Score:  yes, the stat line will show too many threes
attempted and missed, but the fact was, that nearly every type of shot
didn't go in for the C's tonight--dunks, jams, jumpers, free throws--you
name it, someone missed it.  The caveat to this is that Paul Pierce did his
level best to create offense by passing the ball.  Of course, it helps if
the recipient of the pass makes the shot.  Sometimes.  Or even once in a
quarter.  So I'm not going to get on Pierce too much for his shooting
because so far as I could tell, just about everyone was having trouble
getting the ball through the hoop.

The Celtics Did Not Defend:  Yes, some of the shots were lucky.  We all
have days when improbable shots go in.  But there's no way the Bulls should
have shot as well as they did.  The caveat here is that to a small extent,
the Bulls were playing with eight guys instead of five, as the Refs were
curiously one-sided in their calls at times.

Ok, having given you adequate warning of what lies ahead, here we GO....

First Quarter:

Jim O'Brien played musical centers once again, as the starters were Vin
Baker and Kedrick Brown at Guard, Mike James and Paul Pierce at Forward,
and Tony Battie at Center.  Brandon Hunter and Kendrick Perkins both remain
in the Injured List, but the C's had everyone else available to play tonight.

Bulls Coach Bill Cartwright picked the following names at random: Donyell
Marshall and Jalen Rose at Forward, Kendall Gill and Kirk Henrich at Guard,
and Eddy Curry at Center.  Tyson Chandler was out for Chicago with a
bruised back, with Marcus Fizer and Roger Mason Jr.on the Injured List.

Tommy spoke disparagingly of the Bulls internal squabbles, as he thought it
was detrimental to the team's supposed goal of winning games.  Battie won
the jump ball and got it to Baker, who dished off to Pierce.  Paul sent it
back to James at the top of the key, and with 21 seconds left on the shot
clock--and Kedrick Brown wide open--James launched a three.  It bounced
out, into the hands of the Bulls.

Eventually, it's going to dawn on James that the reason the other teams let
him shoot those is because they're low percentage shots.  Why not try
faking a three and using his speed to beat his defender for a better shot,
or pass to Kedrick who could use HIS speed to break toward the hoop?

Kedrick showed this ability on the C's next possession.  The C's were
moving the ball up reasonably quickly--that is to say, they weren't
casually strolling upcourt--but they weren't running and certainly weren't
beating the Bulls defense back.

Speaking of defense, at first the C's defense looked pretty good, forcing
the Bulls into a shot clock three that missed everything and triggered a
24-second violation.  But the C's weren't intercepting the Chicago passes,
just trying to keep them from driving to the hoop.  There wasn't that tight
defense that the C's had occasionally used to tremendous effect.

Pierce fed Battie, but Tony's shot didn't go.  Next time up, Pierce was
able to easily shoot over his defender.  Jalen Rose came back with a hook
shot of his own.  I was figuring that maybe the C's shooting slump was
continuing from the last game and maybe the C's would just concentrate on
defense, as James fed Baker and Vin's hook didn't go in.

By the next offensive trip, the Bulls were playing an out and out zone
defense, which always gives the C's fits.  Kedrick broke through for a
basket, but I think the recent admission by Orlando Magic player Tracy
McGrady that he had trouble with the zone kind of opened the
floodgates.  Every team without a legitimate scoring threat went to the
zone specifically to frustrate teams like Orlando--and Boston.

To beat it, you either need to pass the ball out, or run up before the
defense has a chance to set.  Otherwise, you're stuck in a halfcourt game,
which the C's simply don't do very well for extended stretches.  The C's
had the speed to blow past the Bulls.  Vin Baker generally has good short
passing skills and can facilitate something if he doesn't have a clean
look.--in fact, there are times when I think Vin plays better Point Guard
than the PG's do.

James knocked down another three, which wasn't as good as one might think,
as it is a deceptive escape from the zone.  If you knock down a lot of
shots, great.  If not, then it's a disaster.  Gorman mentioned that Vin
Baker was "fidgeting" with his diet to drop a little more weight.  Tommy
was concerned that Vin might drop TOO much.  At that moment, Vin was moving
better than Pierce expected.  Baker had broken the doubleteam from behind
and was wide open in the lane for a pass from Pierce near the top of the
key.  But Pierce had fired up an alley-oop pass toward the hoop based on
where Vin had been.  Would have been a nice alley-oop, but Baker had made a
nice move to reach the lane wide open.  It would have been a dangerous
pass, unless you were sure Baker would get clear, but I think at this
point, we can count on Vin to be there.  Part of the learning curve for
Pierce's passing.

The C's defense was clearly willing to give up the outside jumper, gambling
on percentages to fall in the C's favor.  The problem is, several teams had
been beating the odds--especially since this particular defensive scheme
gave the opponent time to line up his shot.  I personally think the C's
need to occasionally challenge those shots, and keep them honest.

Tony Battie made a back door pass to James, who dropped off to Vin under
the hoop.  Vin was fouled and made one of two.  I could live with those if
we went to the line consistently and made the free throws.  Somehow, Curry
was able to come down with the ball under the hoop, gather himself, and
dunk the ball--all while four Celtic players stood around him as if they
could stop him using the Force, or something.

Baker got it back with a jump hook at the other end that eventually rattled
in, and Battie was there for the cleanup if needed.  But the Bulls were
lining people up at the arc, and Kendall Gill made the three this
time.  Timeout was called with 5:24 left and the Bulls ahead, 16-14.

Waltah! made his appearance on court for the first time in a few games, as
Pierce hit a three.  I don't know if the C's weren't able to run, or
weren't willing to run--but they didn't run.  Raef's shot was stuffed by
Marshall.  Blount snagged the ball at the other end, and tried an outlet
pass to Waltah!  but he was running upcourt and never saw the pass that
bounced off his behind.  But Marshall's three missed and James took off
upcourt.  He held the ball as the rest of the team came up, and Pierce got
a reasonably good look that didn't drop.  Blount got the rebound, but was
stripped as Rose knocked it down at the other end.

Pierce took a shot in the face going up for the shot, and went to the line
for two, making both, thank goodness.  But Kendall Gill took another deep
shot that went in.  Banks tried to take it to the hoop, but Crawford
rejected it.  Raef made a nice jumper off a Jiri Welsch pass.  Raef tried
again the next trip up, but it didn't fall.  Blount and Waltah! crashed the
boards, but the Bulls came away with the rebound.

The C's made a good attack on offense to try to tie the game up, but time
and again, good shots got stuffed or didn't fall.  Jiri finally tried a
shot clock three that just missed.  The C's played for the final shot of
the quarter, but Bank's shot missed too.  The first quarter ended with
Chicago leading it, 23-21.

This was a very frustrating quarter, as even in a halfcourt game--which
this C's team doesn't play very well, let's face it--they were only two
points down.  What frustrated me was that we know the C's could have blown
the Bulls apart by running.  What was even more frustrating was that for
the halfcourt game, Boston was taking decent shots--they just weren't
falling.  I know the stats will show a lot of threes--and a lot of misses
of all sorts, as their 38% first quarter shooting shows.  But the vast
majority were decent looks, given the type of game that was played.  What
also bothered me was the 45% shooting by the Bulls.  There was no previous
indication they could shoot nearly that well this season.  Also less than
thrilling was seeing the Good Guys outrebounded 14-8 by a team that most
people thought weren't sure where the basket was.

Second Quarter:

Eric Williams came in, which gave me hope, as he'd previously been the one
to jump-start the C's running game.  Waltah! took a three that didn't
fall.  It was the proper shot at that time and place.  Not that I'm
thrilled about anything more than the occasional three, but in this
halfcourt, the three was literally their best option unless they started
running.

Eric did make the C's offense look for something better than a three on the
next play and Blount responded with a line drive from the corner.  Marcus
tried an honest to God run, but got totalled by Crawford at midcourt.  With
8:54 left in the half, time was called as the Bulls continued to lead, 27-24.

Kedrick scored on a nice upfake off a Pierce pass.  The C's had a chance
for a lead off that spinning jumper of Baker's but it wasn't going in,
either.  He recovered his own rebound and dived to the floor to snag the
ball, calling a timeout before a jump ball could occur.

After the timeout, a rather embarrassing situation happened, where Pierce
was stripped of the ball as he was trying to dribble past the arc, and he
dived after the ball as it rolled toward halfcourt.  He couldn't grab it,
but punched it away from Pippen, who was on the floor with him.  Kedrick
Brown, followed closely by his defender, tried to catch the ball as it
scooted over the halfcourt line, but his man slapped at the ball from
between Kedrick's legs.  Mike James came running up, joined by two Bulls
players, and attempted to scoop the ball up at the other free throw line,
but someone jabbed the ball out of reach.  The cameraman under the basket
managed to stop the pumpkin as it bounced past the baseline and out of
bounds.  Possession went to the Bulls.  Fortunately, Kendall Gill's shot
missed.

Mike James nailed a three, but Pippen came right back with a three of his
own.  Then, in a bit of irony, James came inside the arc and was short with
the two.  Eric Williams made a tough two, and shot a look at the refs,
wondering how severe the injury would have to be before anything was
called. As were we all.

Blount and Baker had point-blank shots that wouldn't drop.  That was one of
the toughest parts about watching this game, seeing shots that people can
normally be counted on to make consistently simply going everywhere but
through the hoop.

Tommy was very upset about a player getting hit, but all I could see from
my angle was someone with both hands in Eric Williams' back as he went up
with the ball.  I presume Tommy, even at his most enthusiastic, knows the
difference between a hit and a push, so I guess he saw something not
visible to me.

James knocked down another three.  At this time, I couldn't fault him
taking the shot--nothing else was going in, and at least his threes looked
good.  The C's defense was trying to run Chicago down the shot clock and
Blount tore down a rebound.  But the main problem was the C's couldn't
score consistently.

Well, one of the main problems, anyway.

Raef did hit another jumper, but every time the C's could close the gap,
the Bulls hit another shot to extend the lead.  With 2 minutes left,
Chicago had a 42-41 lead after a Blount jumper.  Then at the other end,
Blount flipped the ball back over his head as he went out of bounds.  Eric
Williams was the recipient of the unusual pass as Blount descended from the
table he'd nearly toppled at the baseline.  The best shot the C's could get
was a Pierce attempt at a three that didn't go.  Chicago missed at the
other end, and the C's had--for the third consecutive possession--a chance
for the lead.  Pierce was doubled under the hoop and found Mike James, who
launched another three.

Celtics 44, Chicago 42, with 1:16 left in the half.  Take solace where you
can, right?

Jalen Rose came right back with a three from the corner.

Shortly afterward, Rose and Raef clonked heads on a play, which sent Rose
to the line.  Raef had taken a run and a flying leap at Rose, who was
driving toward the hoop.  Both men were shaken, but okay.  Battie came in
for Raef, as it was his third foul.  Rose went to the line for two, making
both.

Pierce eschewed the outside shot and went to the hoop, only to be called
for the offensive foul.  Neither team accomplished much more in the
remaining seconds, and halftime came with the Bulls leading, 47-44.

HALFTIME:

Despite not sticking to their game plan, they were only three points down
to a mediocre team.  All the Good Guys had to do was get their collective
act together.  The defense was there--but needed to be tighter against a
team in such disarray as the Bulls.

The C's were shooting badly, but the long-distance jumpers were a last
resort measure since the moves to the hoop weren't falling, and the zone
defense was still bothering the C's.  I kept yelling at the TV--yes, I do
that too--"Just run toward the hoop before their defense can get back!"  If
they'd only do that a few times, the shots would start falling and the C's
would be on their way to a double digit decimation of the Bulls.

Third Quarter:

The Celtics opened up the quarter using fullcourt pressure on the Bulls,
but to little avail.  The Bulls passed the ball well, and only just missed
the shot.  But once more, the C's were not bothering the Bulls passing at all.

Chicago responded with a zone that tripled Pierce.  Paul found Kedrick in
the corner, but that shot missed.  Vin was fouled on the rebound, making
1-2.  The C's got a rebound at the other end, and walked the ball up, to my
utter annoyance.  Pierce was left open for a three--a calculated risk, but
with the way the C's were shooting tonight?  Another miss.  Vin slapped the
rebound back, but it went past James and out of bounds.

The third quarter was "more of the same", as the Bulls hit tough shots
whilst Vin Baker missed an easy stuff.  And Vin was one of the leading
scorers for the C's tonight.

James would soon hit a three to bring the C's within 4 points, at
55-51.  Then the C's ran the Bulls down to a shot clock heave that--of
course--went in.  The Bulls were now hitting 7-13--over 50%--from the three
point line.  That's the kind of thing with will drive defenses right up a wall.

Mike James took a charge to prevent a Chicago layup.  Raef made it work
with a deep two.  Eric Williams went to the line on a smart play, but
missed both.  Waah!  The C's mounted a furious attack on the offensive
boards, especially Blount and Raef, and Mark went to the line, showing us
how to make your free throws, as both went smoothly in.

Pierce made a nice pass in to Eric, who once more drew the foul en route to
the hoop.  Eric's free throw shooting improved, as he made both.  Yay!  But
the C's were fighting for every point.  There were no easy baskets to speak
of.  The C's nearly had a break, but Banks had to heave up a three before
the defense was set, because no one else ran up with him--except the four
Bulls players who beat him back.

Eric was more effective scoring, as a drew a foul once more--this time on a
made basket, to bring Boston within one.  His free throw, however, rattled
out.  Chicago was fouled on the next play, and Pippen made one of two at
the line.  The C's gave Eric a good look for the last shot of the quarter
but to no avail.  The third quarter came to an end as after 12 minutes, the
C's had cut one point of the Bulls halftime lead.  Chicago was still ahead,
65-63.

To this point, Chicago had outshot Boston, 43%-33%; and outdone the C's at
the arc, going 7-13 vs. Boston's 6-21.  One of the few bright spots was
that the Bulls also had a 14-8 edge in turnovers.  It would have helped if
the C's had been able to actually score points off those turnovers.  Funny
thing about the threes is that the C's were shooting between 30-40% from
the arc--normally pretty respectable for any team.  But not when they were
an overall 33% from anywhere on the court.

Fourth Quarter:

The quarter opened largely as the previous one had ended.  The C's got zip
against the zone, and Pippen hit a three at the other end.  Give Eric
Williams credit, he was doing his best to work the ball inside once the C's
made it to the offensive end of the court.  But his free throws once more
went astray, as he missed both.  Eric was so annoyed at himself for missing
the free throws, that his man--Pippen--scooted uncontested to the other end
for two more.  Jim O'Brien called timeout with 11:01 left in the game and
the Bulls lead now grown to 70-63.

When time came back in, Vin faked a drive to the hoop and hit an open
jumper.  We needed more of that, badly.  Pippen then drew a foul off
Blount, belatedly remembering to collapse to the floor
afterward.  Scottie's got an acting career ahead of him--if they ever
revive "the A-Team".  The Pipster then went to the line and missed his
first free throw.  Maybe if he tried method acting and became Reggie
Miller.  His second rattled in, though.

The C's offense got even colder, and the Bulls kept pushing the ball and
making shots.  Eric got called for a ridiculous offensive foul--ridiculous
because his man was running alongside him every step of the way, and not
giving him enough room to move, then fell down in front of Eric.  Scottie
Pippen strikes again!

Off that nonsensical call, the Bulls added insult to incompetence by
walking the ball up and letting Crawford nail another three to give the
Bulls an 11 point lead.  The C's defense just wasn't getting it done.

Then James took off on a fast break--and blew the shot.  Baker's rebound
attempt also missed.  Sometimes, the Good Guys "should'a stood in bed", as
the old saying went.  But Baker and Pierce tried to start the Celtic
offensive, with Vin making a goaltended shot and Pierce hitting on a
three.  That cut the lead in half, as a timeout was called with 7:40 left
and the Bulls lead now reduced to 76-70.

After time went back in, Pierce was called for travelling.  He did take a
small hop--but while it did meet the letter of the law regarding a
travelling violation, that hop is rarely called.  To top it off, just the
night before, Pierce had managed to traverse the width of the lane without
steps being called.  Some things balance out overall--but this call was a
bit of a cheapie, considering some of the things Pippen was getting away
with--like literally whacking Pierce on the arm on his way by, as he did on
the next play.

Scottie also seems to be under the impression that the rules allow him to
yank Blount's arm back as he goes up for the shot.  The refs couldn't
ignore that, as Blount spun backward in midair.  The pull yanked his free
throw off aim, too, as he missed the first.   The second looked much
better.  Referring to  Pippen, Tommy--in  an uncharacteristic bit of
understatement--said "They look at these things different now than in years
past."

Then Pippen drew a phantom foul on Baker as he missed a three.  There was
no sign that Baker even came in contact with Pippen, much less did anything
to physically alter the shot.  Pippen went up for three at the line, making
two out of the three.  Sure helps when you have eight guys on the court to
the other team's five.

The C's did make a good defensive stand, forcing the Bulls into a turnover,
and Kedrick finally scored a Celtic basket off a turnover, rebounding and
drawing the foul--but missing the free throw.  AAUGH!

Pierce then went to the line and made both, bringing the C's within 3 with
4:36 left.  But the Bulls got it right back a few moments later.  James
knocked in a line drive three from the top of the arc, and timeout was
called with 4:03 left and the score now 80-78, alas, still favoring Chicago.

When time came back in, another--rather obvious--non call happened, as
Blount was about to snag a loose ball and was shoved out of bounds--the
camera clearly showed the hand pushing Blount in the back, hard enough to
knock him into the second row, as the ball fell out of his hands and into
the hands of the Bulls.  That's the kind of idiocy that can get people
hurt--not just on the court, but for whomever gets smooshed in the
seats.  But there was no call.  Nothing.  Pierce got slashed down on the
play as well, but the refs charitably gave the ball back to the Bulls as it
went out of bounds.

Justice prevailed as Blount came back in and tipped the pass to Eric
Williams.  James took it up and found Pierce. Sadly, the shot didn't
go.  Maybe the swipe on the arm by his defender--a mirror image of the move
that Vin got called for--had something to do with it.  But the whistles
remained silent--though the refs called plenty of fouls on Pierce and Baker
at the other end.  Time was called with 2:45 left and the Bulls still up,
82-78.

The refs made a goof after the timeout--as the Bulls were supposed to be
shooting free throws, and instead were given the ball for the side
in.  They reset the clocks and set up the free throws, which Jalen Rose
made.  Eric Williams drove to the hoop and got it back.  The C's were
within 4 with 2 minutes left, and Tommy yelled, "Give it to Pierce--he'll
find the open people!"  Whereupon Pierce received the ball, and fired up a
shot that ended up going over the backboard.  Rats.

But the Bulls turned it over and gave the C's another chance.  Pierce was
given a much cleaner look near the free throw line, but that missed too,
and while Baker fought for the rebound, the ball went over to the
Bulls.  Marshall went to the line, going 1-2.  Eric Williams then threw the
ball away.  Curry drew the foul on Baker, sending him to the bench with 6
fouls.  With 42.4 seconds left, Curry was at the line, missing the first
badly, and missing the second even more badly.  But Eric Williams was
called going for the rebound, leaving Marshall at the line, making
both.  Time was called as the score was now 87-80.

When time came back in, another foul was called--where were all those
whistles on OUR end?  The Bulls went back to the line.  Jalen Rose made
both.  Raef missed a close skyhook, and WOW, the Celtics went to the
line!!  Raef made both.  Chicago dribbled out the clock and won the game,
89-82.

Give the Bulls credit--they played the game they wanted to play, and didn't
deviate from their plan.  Boston didn't do any of the basic things they
needed--like running and scoring.

I could have understood if the C's had run in the first half and got
tired.  But they didn't run at all.  We got beat by a mediocre team.  God
help us if the C's play like this against a good team.

Cookies and Crumbs

Cookies go to:

Mike James:  He shot better than anyone on the C's tonight, 18
points,  going 6-14 overall and 6-11 from the arc.  Also 2 rebounds, 3
assists and a steal.

Vin Baker:  Went 12 points on 4-11 shooting, 8 rebounds, an assist and a steal.

Paul Pierce:  Given how many C's went zip for everything, 4-15 isn't quite
as bad.  4-4 at the line, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, and a steal.

Eric Williams:  13 points on 4-10 shooting, 3 rebounds and a steal.

Crumbs left for:

The Celtics' overall shooting percentage.

The Celtics free throw shooting.

The Celtics running game.

Marcus Banks: got nothing done out there tonight.

Mike James: crumbs for his lack of running.  He and Marcus should be making
the C's run.  They didn't.

The refs: bleah.

The Celtics better start playing a LOT faster on the court and making their
shots before they get blown out by a decent team.  Next time, if they don't
run, there's no cookies no matter how much they score.

Next up, the Cleveland Cavaliers, featuring the first NBA player who only
shaves once a week.

And that's the view from the doghouse.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle