From: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jim Hill
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 8:23 PM
To: Celtics
Subject: RE: Here's What We Know

"Jim,

I appreciate the fact that first round picks should not be given away. I
was, as much as anyone, dumfounded by Pitino's decision to trade Billups
for Kenny Anderson as well as the loss of JJ for two mediocre players.
However, put Ray Allen, who is only 28 years old, alongside Paul Pierce
and Vin Baker and you have the best team in the East.  Will that team
beat the likes of the Lakers?  Probably not because of O'Neal but they
could compete with any other NBA team immediately.  Allen would be
fantastic in an up-tempo/motion based system the Celtics are allegedly
trying to play.

The question is this. Do two first round picks next year, most likely
one mid to late teens and one mid to late twenties, allow you to draft
an all-star caliber guard like Ray Allen?  And if somehow the Celtics
got lucky and got a potential Allen type player with one of those two
picks, how long before that youngster realizes that potential?  With
Pierce now 26 years old, the Celtics don't have the luxury of waiting
five years for that potential to be realized.

We are not talking about giving up Chauncey Billups for Kenny Anderson
or JJ for bench players Delk and Rodney Rogers. Ray Allen is one of the
top shooting guards in the game.

Of course the trade proposal I made will not happen because Seattle is
building their team around Allen, but that is the type of athletic,
intelligent, all around offensive talent that Pierce needs alongside him
to make his life easier. The alternative is to watch a lot more 27
percent shooting, 8 assist, 7 turnover games out of the Celtics "star".

Ravi "

Hi Ravi,  I don't deny that Allen is a talent.  However, he is a 6'5",
205lb. SG making almost Max money who's contract is up in '05 and will
be looking for a big contract extension this/next year, plus he has
missed a few games with injuries the last couple years, FWIW.

Pierce is bigger, plays the same position and is younger.  If we were
talking an established PF, PG or 5 who is locked in until '06/'07 or
longer, then maybe.

Pierce is the only building block "for sure" and he's signed until '07.
Perkins, LeFrantz, Banks, '07 ending contracts. Jones, Welsch and Baker
until '06.

I think your looking at a run in '06 and '07.  Make some very good draft
picks of established foreign pros with those firsts, who only need two
years to contribute, to go along with
Perkins/Pierce/LeFrantz/Jones/Baker/Banks/Welsch or draft a couple guys
with "upside" that you can package with expiring contracts/picks for an
"Allen" level talent at your weakest position in '06 or wait and see who
is rebuilding next year.

As far as the Chicago game, it is going to take a while for everyone to
mesh better.  Pierce is having his troubles for sure but I expect that
will improve.  Jones/Williams need to get healthy,
Brown/Battie/Welsch/McCarty need to get more aggressive.  There was no
excuse for not running.  That's what needs to be addressed.  We need a
"Harter" for the offense too.

I wouldn't object to an upgrade in talent but would look for a 1,4,5
myself.

<Jim

P.S. Cecil, I deleted your email to me in error.  Can you resend it
please. Sorry about that.

It's only been a few games.

---