Pierce makes prophet of Anderson

By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Wednesday, November 12, 2003

INDIANAPOLIS - Kenny Anderson has been around a dozen NBA years, but that's
evidently not long enough to make him foolproof. Before last night's game
against the Celtics, he expressed surprise his former club had pulled the
trigger on the Antoine Walker [news] trade.

     During the Celts' 78-76 win over his Pacers, the former Boston point
guard was tricked again. He didn't get a chance to speak much with buddy Paul
Pierce [news], but he put the onus on him yesterday morning, saying the
remaining captain had to move the rock more. Anderson just didn't think Pierce
would get the clue so soon.

     ``I was shocked when Paul made them extra passes,'' said Anderson, who
got caught cheating off Mike James [news]. ``I kept gambling, but Paul was
making the passes to James and James was hitting the shot (four of five in the
second half). I'm thinking he's going to keep it and try to make plays, but he
made some good things happen. He fooled me. He made extra passes and made
everybody better.''

     Anderson didn't get together with Pierce on this trip, but his message
seemed to get across telepathically.

     ``Their go-to guy has to understand and have trust in his players,'' a
prophetic Anderson said after the Pacers' morning practice. ``I think Paul's
going to get there. He got there when I was there, but now Antoine's not there
and it's like he has to go through that again. But I think when he becomes
more comfortable with everyone and starts passing even more, things will be
easier for him and the team get better. He's just got to trust in his
teammates and they've got to be ready to play.

     ``You know Paul's going to get his numbers, but the other guys are going
to get theirs too if they move. I think their whole team is going to get
better with time. With the new way they're playing, guys just have to get used
to each other. Watch. It'll happen.''

     He didn't have to wait long to look smart.

     Owner salutes Baker

      After watching Vin Baker hit the winning shot with 20 seconds left, C's
owner Wyc Grousbeck tracked down the game ball and gave it to him in the
dressing room. . . .

     The Celtics tied the NBA season-low with just six free throws made in the
game (they attempted 13). . . .

     Walter McCarty [news] and Jumaine Jones got their second straight DNPs by
coaches decision.

     ``Nothing surprises me,'' said McCarty, whose Sunday seat was his first
since March 2002. ``I was frustrated, to be honest. It was a streak I wanted
to keep, but it was out of my control so you just let it go. I've just got to
hope that there's another plan for me. It happens every year, so I'm kind of
used to it. I've just got to make sure I stay in shape and keep my shot going
so I when I do get my opportunity I'll be productive. I know I can play.'' . .
.

     Pacer president Donnie Walsh is on board with the Walker deal, but he
thinks the Celts erred in changing their home shoes to white.

     ``The trade is good, but that's a mistake,'' he said with a smile.
``Really, I love the black sneakers. I just think it's part of their lore.''

     As for the trade, he said, ``I think it made sense for their team. You
know, when you trade a guy like Antoine Walker you're trading a guy that had
big numbers and had been apart of the success of the team, but I think the
object is to have a good team. And from what I see, they filled in a lot of
blanks with that trade.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx